Tuesday, June 14, 2005

On Boredom

Tuesday. Spreadsheet day. You know you have a boring job when you look forward to the day you get to compile spreadsheets just because it breaks up the routine. Musical choice for the morning commute: Widespread Panic. Why the change up? Because I'm just crazy like that.

I first set up this blog back in January because I was bored. Then I shortly realized that I was boring and had nothing exciting to post. Several months passed until I came to a new perspective on this blog. I am going to use this as a cure for boredom. By posting entries, I will have something to do. However, that did not cure the problem of having only boring things to say. But, I have decided, as selfish as this sounds, that this blog is to cure my boredom, not the reader's. So, I can't promise exciting entries, so if you are looking for excitement try surfing excite.com instead. Of course, there are some who enjoy the voyeuristic pleasure of reading someone else's thoughts, and to you all I say welcome. Also welcome to friends of darthjohn42, whom are probably the only ones reading this anyway.

Ok, back to boredom. I had a roommate once who told me that only boring people get bored. I think he said that right before he went outside and played or did whatever he did while I sat on the couch watching Petticoat Junction re-runs. Just kidding, I agree with the fundamental base of this argument, however, I don't think it can be applied to a place of employment. Sure, I would love to just get up go outside and kick the hackeysack around or lead my co-workers in a rousing rendition of the Flintstones theme song whenever I got bored here at work, but I don't think that my employer would find this as a suitable use of my human capital.

You see I have a boring job. It's a good job and I'm thankful for it, but boring all the same. I'm just not challenged enough I guess. I tried working blindfolded, but that was a bit too challenging. I talked to my boss awhile back about this subject and for like two weeks I got considerably busier. However, when those projects were completed I fell back into the same boring daily routine. Part of the problem is that she is at headquarters 800 miles away, while I sit here and work independently in a branch office. I only see her about once a month, so I think I'm just not in her line of sight. When last we spoke she said that she was going to give me bigger assignment, but until then the boredom shall remain.

According to the boss lady, my meticulousness, patience and tolerance for monotony are my strengths (is that a compliment?) and are the reasons why she brought me on board for these particular projects I am currently working on. Little does she know that my brain is cracking and I am slowly going insane. However, there's a paycheck in it, it beats being a fry cook, and I have been advised that if I can hang on for another 12-18 months I am on track to make manager. So, here I am bored at work excited about the day I get to compile a spreadsheet and review 5,000-6,000 line items for accuracy. That's why I created this blog. To find out more about that, go back to the top and read through again. Rinse. Repeat.

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

You know, I have often wondered the same thing. I once got stuck in a vicious cycle of shampooing, rinsing, and repeating. Every time I got to the end it said to repeat, so I did. After three days of being stuck in the shower, I finally just went against what the instructions told me and broke the cycle. The water was getting really cold.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home