Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I’m Working Today and Yesterday, Still Got Some Time and I Can Have Something I’d Live For

Tuesday. It has been a regular workday so far. The official announcement for my promotion doesn't take place until tomorrow, so today I am still doing the same old stuff. Of course, I'll still be doing a lot of the same old stuff after the announcement, but I will also have new stuff to do, too. That will be pretty cool. Although only a handful of people know yet, I am able to access a bunch of new things in the system that I previously wasn't privy to since they re-did my permission rights on Friday. That has been very informative, let me tell you. Just a quick breeze through the internal documents gives you a pretty good idea of what information they feel must be withheld from the general employee base. I'm still blocked out of a lot of documents, though. That must be the really good stuff. The ability to read those docs is motivation enough to keep going up that ladder...

I am anxious for tomorrow's lunch and review session with the Big Boss Lady. Typically I do not enjoy the whole performance review process. Sometimes they go better than others, but they usually are fairly lame. This time, though, the pressure is off. I was all ready to come out guns'a'blazin' on why she needed to promote me, etc., but now I already know ahead of time. I don't need to freak out and lose sleep over it tonight, I can just go and have a relaxing lunch and enjoy myself. Of course, the salary numbers are still up in the air, which has got me concerned that she is going to low-ball me, but for the most part everything should be stress-free. That is very cool.

On a side note, the branch here in Denver is celebrating over-budget sales numbers the past two months by having a barbeque on Friday. The memo also stated (I kid you not) that Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Day as well. Is this a joke? I swear, the longer I work here, the more Office Space is becoming my reality. They better not try to take my stapler. Swingline is WAY better than Boston for sure.

I listened to Telephono by Spoon today on the ride into work. I know, I Spoon-fed you all last week but I didn't have any other new music to review and I still had a couple of Spoon albums left to hear. Since the albums I listened to last week seemed to improve as I moved backwards through their discography, I decided today I should listen to one of their earliest albums to see if I noticed a significant difference between their earlier and later sounds. I could definitely tell a difference, but nothing radical. Still sounded like Spoon to me. Just for kicks, I pulled up some listener reviews on Amazon to hear what the fans were saying. Oddly, there were a lot of people complaining that this album was a Pixies rip-off. Ok, man, I love the Pixies, but I didn't think once during this listen that they were ripping them off. I did think that the song Nefarious sounded a bit Lou Reed-ish, but the Pixies never came to mind. I don't know what they are talking about. In fact, I probably would have enjoyed this album more if it sounded like the Pixies, but alas, it sounded like the other Spoon albums I've heard over the past week or so. Definitely not bad, but it didn't blow me away, either. I still don't get the hype. I think I'm missing something.

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

i feel that way about radiohead and broken social scene and anthony and the johnsons.

just don't get it... but everyone i know does.

as for the salary thingy? maybe if she low balls you you say something about that being adequate for six months while you finish training but then you would expect a raise? :)

i dunno. i'm SO BAD at negotiating money.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Broken Social Scene I can dig. Anthony and the Johnsons? I gave them a listen a while back when LSD discussed them on his blog. Radiohead, however... *whispers* I can't stand 'em. I know that goes against the opinion of many of our fellow bloggers, but I've never cared for them in the least. Of course, now that the secret is out, let the public stoning begin...

Yeah, I'm new to this whole salary negotiation thing. When I got hired into this company I had just finished being laid off for the second time in about three years. At the time I wasn't interested in negotiations. When they presented me the offer, I just said "yes, please!"

I've been reading up on the subject, though, but most of the tips seem like common sense. Hopefully she will just give me a good number up front so I won't have to deal with it at all, but we'll see I guess.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home