Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Too Many Knives and Not Enough Signs

Wednesday. Today hasn't been a busy day, per se, but I sure have been busy. I know that doesn't make much sense, so let me clarify. I wasn't slammed with a bunch of tasks today, but the task that I was doing occupied me for pretty much the whole day. I am trying to clean up my biggest, ugliest account group and the more I dig into it, the bigger and uglier it gets. The good news is that I have been making good progress. However, I still have a whole lot more to go and unfortunately unless we can get a better process in place today's current items will just be next year's past dues. I've been trying to get something in place, but haven't gotten much cooperation. Everyone wants me to approve their orders, but no one wants to help me collect them. What about the give-and-take people? Last I checked we all worked for the same company.

Today is the third and final Beulah review of the week. Today's selection was Yoko, Beulah's last album before the band broke up. Lampsidebriefcase asked me why the album was named Yoko. He thought it was because he thought Beulah sounded a bit Beatle-ish. I told him that I read on Wkipedia the other day that during the recording of this album the lead singer broke up with his longtime girlfriend and three of the other band members went through divorces. I proposed that perhaps the title is in reference to the women who eventually broke up the band. Lampside pointed out that Yoko could just be an acronym for You're Only King Once, a track on the album. I'm guessing Lampside is probably right on this one. But I kind of liked my theory...

The feel of this album definitely reflects these turbulent times the band was going through. Instead of the happy, feel-good sound reflected on the previous two albums, this one is much more melancholy. A quick read through the lyrics reveal words that are depressive and sometimes downright angry and scornful. This album is good, but I would have to be in a much different mood to listen to it than I would be in when listening to When Your Heartstrings Break or The Coast is Never Clear. If you liked the other two albums, then I would recommend picking this one up just to round out the catalogue. Otherwise, I would say to pick up the other two first, especially The Coast is Never Clear. I think that one's a little more accessible to the first-time Beulah listener.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home