Wednesday, June 14, 2006

You Got the Weight of the World Coming Down Like a Mother’s Eye

Wednesday. Today has been a weird hodgepodge of minor tasks and events that have in their collective totality kept me quite occupied today. I've been mostly dealing with supplier payments and trying to resolve vendor discrepancies. You would think that doing payables would be fairly straight forward, but you get odd situations such as the vendor who wanted to know why his company hasn't been paid yet for services performed in April. We told him that it was because he never sent us an invoice. He advised that he considered as a payable invoice a personal letter that he sent to the sales rep that stated within it that they finished the job. Um... ok... Other than that, I have been trying to work on collections and fix a headache account that is quickly becoming a migraine account. You know, the usual fun.

This past weekend I engaged myself in the usual scouring of the internet for new tunes to check out. Since I enjoyed the Beulah-a-thon last week, I went to Live Plasma and typed in Beulah to see what would come up. One of the bands that it connected Beulah to was Spoon. I had heard of Spoon before and I am vaguely aware that they have somewhat of a loyal underground following, so I decided to check them out. Luckily for me the music fairy was able to deliver the whole Spoon discography, so I was more than prepared to have a Spoon week to follow up the Beulah week. That is of course, if I liked them having never heard any of their stuff previously. Forcing myself to listen to more albums if I didn't like the first one would have been literally like gagging myself with a Spoon...

Anyway, as all of you faithful readers who hang on every Inaction-in-Action post know, there was no post on Monday and no music discussion yesterday. So, there really wasn't much of a start to Spoon week. However, I did listen to Spoon's Kill the Moonlight those two mornings and found it fairly enjoyable. I even recognized one of the songs. It was no Beulah, though, that's for sure. In fact, I'm kind of confused by the very close link that Live Plasma gave the two bands. Of course, that's not the first time I've questioned a connection, but hey, I guess it's more important if I actually like the band being referred vs. how I was referred to them so I guess we'll just move on...

I listened to Spoon's Gimme Fiction this morning to see if a different album would leave a deeper impression on me. Again, I found the listen fairly enjoyable, but it didn't rock my musical foundations or anything. I liked this album better than Kill the Moonlight, though. After listening to both albums, I began to ask myself what the big deal was. I didn't think they were bad by any means, but usually when an indy band has a big following I expect something fairly unique and/or distinctive that sets them apart from field. I didn't hear anything like that with Spoon. Perhaps there is some kind of subtle intricacy with how they write their music or something, but on the surface I didn't hear anything new. Again, I enjoyed both albums, but I guess I just expected more. If someone knows what I'm overlooking, please let me know. Until then I am going to give them a half-hearted recommendation. They're good, but nothing to get all crazy about. Pick 'em up if you're curious, otherwise I don't think you'll miss out on the next new revolution in music or anything like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home