Friday, June 02, 2006

Look Me in the Mouth, Tell Me What You See; No Matter Who I am, I am You as You See Me

Friday. Yeah! And make that a double "Yeah!" because I need a weekend in the worst way. This week (and last) has been pretty rough on johnny both inside and outside of work, so I am more than welcoming a few days off so I can decompress. At least the website uploaded ok after giving me a bunch of trouble lately, including a down FTP tool yesterday. Today has been relatively better. I had to update my large aged balance treasury reports due to end-of-month, and after that I have been researching old discrepancies. Today is also the anniversary of my hire date (hmm... it seems like it was just a year ago that I was celebrating my last anniversary...), but that has gone by with little fanfare since I don't actually work for the branch here and the Big Boss Lady won't be back in town for a few more weeks. That's ok, my free lunch can wait. However, I am anxious for the review.

The branch financial manager here just passed her 25-year anniversary with the company and got a pretty nice wall clock. I wonder if I am up to the "disposable pen with the company's logo on it" level yet? I might have to wait a few years for that one...

After mentioning Chali 2na of the Jurassic 5 a few days ago in my Ozomatli review, I started to get a hankerin' for some J5. So, I listened to the Jurassic 5 EP first and then about half of Power in Numbers. I really dig the Jurassic 5. I already did a discussion of them here, but I will again state my affinity for this group. These guys are cool. I've said it about a bajillion times here on this blog, but I'll say it again. I'm bored of gangsta rap. It seriously hasn't changed since the late 1980s. It's refreshing to hear groups like the J5 who are actually looking beyond those static boundaries and doing something new lyrically and otherwise. Too bad more of these groups don't make it on the airwaves (come to think of it, when was the last time you heard Jurassic 5 on the radio? The only place I hear them is on the local college station). That's why casual rap fans assume that there is a dichotomy in the genre. They assume you have to either listen to "gangsta" or the lame, squeaky-clean stuff like Will Smith. I guess that's what the evil combination of Clear Channel and major label marketers want. They want to dictate what you hear and what you buy. Don't be a slave!

Sorry for going off on a tangent there. Anyway, check out the J5. I recommend 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home