Thursday, May 25, 2006

It’s Gone on Long Enough, What Has it Changed for You?

Thursday. I'm still reeling from yesterday's frustrations, which has unfortunately resulted in quite a bad attitude on my part today. I spent the vast majority of the morning in managerial teleconferences, which only compounded my anger and frustration. Why even have me attend these things if they aren't going to give me the same title of everyone else attending? A few days ago I would have just assumed it was because the title was pending as promised. However, today I am convinced it is because they realize they have gotten me to perform that level of work for the past ten months at 30% less of the expense. So all the talk that went on two years ago, ten months ago, six months ago, three months ago, etc, has all turned out to be just empty promises and false allusions. It has been suggested to me that I should confront the Big Boss Lady next month during my review since the company won't fire me and that there is obviously no promotion in jeopardy. I am seriously considering it. In three or four weeks' time perhaps my rage will settle down enough that I can actually carry on a rational discourse on the situation without combusting into a fiery ball of frustrated fury (how's that for an alliteration?). If anything, the Big Boss Lady won't be able to say that my departure took her by surprise or that I didn't communicate any issues that I may have been experiencing. No matter what I have to stick around for at least a few more months. I have a surgery coming up and I need my insurance to cover it. After that? Who knows? We'll see how this whole review/confrontation turns out. It will probably just result in more empty promises like all of the other ones, but we'll see I guess.

Sorry, I don't have any new music to discuss today. Sure, there is plenty out there for me to explore but I just haven't gotten there yet. I'll work on it. For this morning, though, I just listened to Keep it Like a Secret by Built to Spill. I really dig those guys and really enjoy this album in particular. It had been a few months since I gave it a listen, so I felt the time was right. It sure was. In my opinion, this album rocks. I've discussed BtS on this site like a bajillion times before though so I am going to wrap this up for now. It's time to get back to imaginative playtime. Today I'm going to pretend that I am higher up in the company by doing far more work than my title dictates for significantly less pay. Yippeee!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

i only have one comment regarding your review. wait until her part is o v e r before you start in with your bits. like wait until the very end before you say anything.

i always regret it when i confront before i listen. just be careful until your surgery is done and then write your resignation on some nice thick parchment with the words 'fold this until it's all sharp corners and then your imagination can tell you the rest...'

*grin*

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Sass-

Yeah, I'm not going to start in on her the second we sit down or anything. I will hear her out, and then at the end she gets her little schpiel where she discusses what is going to happen in the future, etc, and that is the time that I would start in on the heavy questions. I am giving her a head's up though (to be discussed in today's post), so hopefully she won't be caught too far off guard.

Either way, I'm not in the position to just up and quit. I have too many concerns outside of work that depend on that steady income to do anything rash. However, if her response indicates that it is time to direct my career ascension up someone else's ladder, then I might just start testing the waters...

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home