Tuesday, January 02, 2007

So This is the New Year and I Don’t Feel Any Different

Ok, so it's the New Year. 2007. The year of the some animal or other. As is the custom with each flip of the annual calendar, I guess I should come up with some resolutions. However, I think I am going to score myself against last year’s resolutions first to see how well I did. Ok, first thing I resolved to do was learn HTML. Well, although I wouldn't dare say I am fluent, I did learn a good chunk of the basics and was able to turn this website from a basic blogger template into a more original layout (with basic blogger template structure). I also designed a couple of more layouts completely from scratch, but you will just have to trust me on that since none of them are published and remain as .html files on my computer. So, one resolution resolved. Let's move on to the next one: have my website up and running and my writing project done. For clarification, this is a website separate from this blog. This was part of an overall experiment of mine to see if one could actually make money on the internet. I set up a trial website complete with all kinds of test factors to determine what content, advertising, trackers, keywords, marketing, etc, brings people to a particular website. The experiment was a great success. I learned many things from this experiment and that is that there is money to be made from the internet but it is to be earned from selling an actual product, not just placing advertisements on blog and watching the tracker click. In a single month the traffic for my trial blog had way surpassed what this blog had taken almost a year to accomplish, but I had less than a dollar to show for it. I needed a product to sell otherwise other people would just be making money from my hard work. Unfortunately that is where I stalled out. I have a great idea for a product, but I admittedly have been lazy about getting it together. I know I have mentioned my lack of motivation several times here in the course of the past year and yet I am still unable to finish up. I have some kind of blockage that has prevented me from moving forward. My first resolution is to figure out how to remove that mental blockage and press on. I know this idea will be successful; I just have to follow though. By the end of this year I want some serious progress made on this project. No more slacking!!!!

My second resolution is to pick this whole website design hobby back up again. I was doing really well learning HTML and having a lot of fun with it. I even started in on a JavaScript book to learn that language, too. Then warm weather hit. I was no longer indoors. Summer and all of its wonderful distractions came and I was away from my computer. I meant to go back in the fall but it didn't happen. Now that winter is here and the long cold nights have returned I want to pick JavaScript back up. This blog hasn't had a major tweaking since about last March so it is time. I resolve to finish the JavaScript book and to do another major tweak done by the end of the year.

Since it is custom to have a resolution that deals with physical fitness, my third resolution is to get in more hiking this year. Ok, this should actually be an easy one. My wife recently joined a weekend hiking group with some friends of hers. They go out every Saturday and Sunday (weather permitting) and stretch their legs for a handful of miles or so. A lady in the group used to do some of the big tall peaks around here with her husband but stopped due to burn out and a lack of other people to go out with. I love to hike but haven't been able to get out much regularly for years. Even now, I am usually at home watching the girls while the Mrs. goes out and gets her outdoors fix. Turns out that my wife's friend has a teenage daughter who will baby-sit the girls while the four of us go out and hit the trails. We are all pretty excited and early planning has begun on some of the trips we can take this year. I seriously can't wait!

For my last resolution I've decided to make a life-long goal, not just for the upcoming year. Ever since my visit to Joshua Tree I've been thinking about how awesomeness of the US national park system. These are truly national treasures. I want to make it my goal to visit each one of them during my lifetime. Although I've only visited about six out of 58 parks, I think that this is a very realizable goal. First, a very significant number of these parks are within a days' driving distance of where I live. Second, many parks are near places I would go to visit anyway like the handful of parks on the way to or around Minnesota, or in places that I would much rather visit like Hawaiian Volcanoes NP. Some will be harder, like the one in American Somoa, but hey, a goal has to make you stretch, right? Even if I don't make all 58, my life and love of nature will no doubt be enriched in the attempt. And isn't that what these resolutions are supposed to be about anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home