Friday, December 08, 2006

Only People Just Know How to Talk to People; Only People Know Just How to Change the World

I'm like some freakish savant when it comes to music trivia. Don't ask me to remember anything of any real significance or practical use, but for some reason I can list off the most obscure musical minutiae with ease. The same could be said of film, books, historical events and other random factoids as well. Trust me, I would readily trade my ability to never lose Trivial Pursuit for, say, an understanding of quantum physics or anything of actual value, but I have come to accept that it is just how my brain works.

I mention this because I learned something new today that I had never heard before. According to the morning DJ (yes, I admit it, I was listening to commercial radio) Jimmy Page played session guitar on Tom Jones’ It’s Not Unusual. I knew that he had done a lot of session work early in his career, but I had never known about this one (rest assured it's locked in the brain vault now).

I did know that Mr. Page played sessions for the Yardbirds and eventually became a member of the band after Eric Clapton departed. Eric Clapton is no stranger doing session and cameo work himself. Best friends with George Harrison, he contributed on several of his tracks, including one of my favorite Beatle tunes While My Guitar Gently Weeps. He also played lead guitar in John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, which brings me to today's real topic, the anniversary of John Lennon's death.

I wrote a decent post on this subject last year so I'll link it here and invite you to read it. I know that's cheating, but hey, it beats redundancy. I will, however, once again implore you faithful readers to consider Mr. Lennon's message of peace and understanding between peoples. With all that is going on in the world, this message is just as relevant now as it was then. Let's not just remember Mr. Lennon by playing Beatle "rock blocks" on the radio. Let's instead honor his memory by reaching out to our fellow humans and practicing random acts of kindness for our neighbors. That and listening to A Day in the Life ad nauseum. That's what I plan to do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

Interesting... quantum physics as an example of something useful? Hillarious!

As for good ol' John... what can I say? I went through a phase of being madly in love with each of the Beatles during my 3 year long obsession. He's currently my number 2, although after I watch Help! or Hard Day's Night, the movies, I heart him way more. He had such a great sense of timing and wit. And I agree, A Day in the Life is fantastic. Of all the John songs, I love You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, and I'm Only Sleeping. Very different eras, for sure. I also love the post-Beatles stuff that he did. Mother, Watching the Wheels, and so on... Man, he was great. Have you been to Strawberry Fields in Central Park? Quite moving, actually...

Friday, December 08, 2006 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

John is my favorite Beatle for sure, but George is a good second. John's songs just seemed a bit "deeper" I guess, or maybe I just tended to connect with him more. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away is a great tune for sure, and I love Watching the Wheels. I could probably start listing the whole Beatles catalog at this point. My yesteryears obsession with the Beatles has died down, but I am still a pretty big fan. All four made such amazing music together it still blows my mind.

I've never been to NYC. I know, I'm a big loser. I plan to go someday, I've just never had the chance. Central Park would be a stopping point for sure, as would the Dakota on whose front steps John was shot down.

Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

I love Jealous Guy. While I'm not sure that John was the deepest Beatle, he certainly had a way of empathising and remaining human dispite his iconic status. His songs, especially the later stuff that wasn't so politically driven, was about the simple things. Family, love, and trying to make ones way through this world with as much grace and honor as the self will allow. An esamination of the past as a child, as a Beatle, as a failed father and husband, and most importantly as the opposite of all those things. The restored life.

George I think wrote All Things Must Pass. That song seems to me a tad more philisophical in nature than what John's lyrical leanings leave resonating in my brain. But it's John's love for the world and his faith in mankind that still hasn't passed. It may never and may it never.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

my current favorite lennon song is crippled inside. that is an unsung hero of songs if you ask me.

first of all it's freaking hillbilly and second?? it's dead nuts accurate

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

LSD- I think you are right, that John's talent lay in his ability to tap into his emotion and the human condition. He was all about righting wrongs, whether it be the wrongs he saw in the world, or the wrongs he saw in himself. John knew that individually those tasks seem overwhelming, but if we all work together to right the wrongs, we will be the ones to overwhelm.

I am totally down with George, too. He wrote some of the Beatles' best stuff. It's a shame that John and Paul sought to stifle him so much. I agree with George being more philosophical, but more in a religious sense. He really expressed his spirituality in his solo work. For being the "quiet" Beatle, he actually had a lot to say...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:15:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Yes, Sass! Excellent pick! I had forgot about that one. You are most definitely right, those lyrics are perfect. It's amazing how what seems like a silly country song with simple wording can still be so powerful and ring so true. Fix yourself from the inside out.

The Beatles tune that I've been spinning a lot lately? Hey Bulldog. I know it isn't as politically or lyrically charged as many of the other Beatles selections, but John really brings it down with that piano riff.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home