Monday, March 27, 2006

It Went the Dull and Wicked Ordinary Way

Monday. An ok day so far I guess. I have been working on my presentations for this big financial conference for most of the day. Since the conference starts this Wednesday, we had a big run-through with one of the Directors of Finance to ensure that our respective addresses were suitable for the ears of the CFO and the other financial directors. Since I am in Denver and not at the corporate headquarters, I had to do both of mine by phone, which was fairly awkward, but I think I did ok. The worst part of it all was having to stick around on the phone to listen to everyone else's presentations. After about 2 ½ hours I think the phone receiver started to melt to my ear...

Taking up the recommendation of fellow blogger Lisa V., I chose to listen to The National's Alligator on the way into work this morning. I really liked this album. The instrumentation is rich without going over-the-top. The lead singer's voice register is deep, similar to that of Franz Ferdinand or The Killers, but better. Since this was my very first listen, I have yet to fully digest everything that this album has to offer, but my first impressions were very good. The tracks that stood out for me right off were Daughters of the Soho Riots, Abel, and Friend of Mine. I'll definitely be listening to this album more. Thanks for the recommendation, Lisa, and I'll forward this recommendation to everyone else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

Woo Hoo! you are officially my favourite person! Another convert!!! Aren't they fantastic? I love Daughters of the Soho Riots too... doesn't it sound like an Arab Strap song? That's whose voice I think he's got the most... or maybe Ian McCullough from Echo and the Bunnymen? I love the drumming in Mr. November (and the line "I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders"), and the cocky lyrics in All The Wine... And of course Lit Up, which is perhaps the best fucking driving song of all time. You just have to play it loudly, over and over again...
Man, you have no idea how happy this makes me. They are currently my favourite band. So fantastic live...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:14:00 AM  
Blogger Lance said...

I too had the thought that they were much like the Killers only way fucking better.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:12:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

No, Lisa, it is I who is grateful to you for introducing me to such a talented band. Thank you. I can see the Ian McCullough comparison for sure. Don't worry, I'll keep listening...

LSD - yes, WAY better than the Killers

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home