Thursday, March 23, 2006

Isn’t This A Lovely Day?

Thursday. Well, so far today at work has gone better than yesterday, but there's still not much excitement to be found. I uploaded the receivables website this morning, and now I am approving vendors for job orders. Other than that, the same old boringness going on here. I'm really starting to yearn for something else, but since I'm indentured for at least another 14 months, I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it.

So, I was listening to the local college radio station the other day while I was out driving and I heard a really funky jazz/hip hop tune that sounded pretty cool. The DJ said the name of the track was Smith Street, so when I got home I did a little research and found out that this was a release by a duo named Layo and Bushwacka. Despite their name, I secured the album and decided I would give them a review.

Much to my disappointment, this was the only song on Feels Closer that had that funky jazz theme. The rest of the eleven songs were all techno/electronica. I'm sorry, but I really don't care for techno music. I mean, some backing samples and sound effects can be cool, but I just really don't get into a track completely made up of electronic noises and drum machines, especially if it is incredibly repetitive. Perhaps if I was dropping X in a club instead of driving to work at six in the morning I would think differently, but since the latter was the case I just didn't get into this album at all. As far as techno goes, this was probably some of the best I've heard, but to me being the least bad doesn't make it good. If you like this genre of music, please check it out. You'll probably like it. For me, I'll probably keep Smith Street around for the novelty factor, but I highly doubt that I'll be listening to the rest of this album any time soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

there's a time and a place for techno. unfortunately i've never even been in the same neighborhood.
or time zone.

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:12:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Kat! How's it going in the Beehive State?

If there's a time and a place for techno then they need to post that schedule publically so I know when to not be there...

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home