Monday, March 13, 2006

Stow Your Sorrow, Stow Your Fear; What Did You Do to End Up Here?

Monday. I've had a busy day here. I know, being busy should be a cure for boredom so I shouldn't complain, but in this case it isn't the good kind of "busy." If I felt like I was getting ahead or accomplishing something positive, that would be one thing, but instead I have been confronted with a ton of new problems, obstacles and bottlenecks to add onto the existing problems, obstacles and bottlenecks that I am currently trying to work through. I swear, as soon as I resolve one issue, another one sprouts up to fill the void. I guess it's good for job security, but sometimes the whole thing just seems brain-numbingly futile.

Luckily for me, I have a side project to keep my brain active during my off-the-clock hours. Faithful readers will remember that a few months back I picked up a book on HTML with the objective of teaching myself this introductory web-programming code. While I wouldn't say I've anywhere near mastered HTML, I have worked through the book and feel like I have definitely learned a lot in this relatively short time period. Not only was I able to do substantial tweaks to this blog, but I also created several other web pages completely from scratch using my own code. Since I feel like I am ready to move onto the next level, I ordered a book on Javascript over the weekend. Since I am a cheapskate and chose the least-expensive shipping rate on Amazon, the code will probably be obsolete by two versions by the time the book gets here, but I still think I will have something to go off of in my continued pursuit to teach myself web design. I'll keep you all updated as this story progresses.

I've been listening to a lot of Iron & Wine lately. I know that seems like a rough segue, but really it isn't since that is what I've been playing during my weekend web page coding sessions. His songs' mellow unobtrusiveness allows me to concentrate while still providing a sublimely pleasant musical backdrop by which to work. Today I chose to listen to The Creek Drank the Cradle, since I felt that it would be a good compliment to my slow, snowy start to a melancholy Monday morning (how's that for a double alliteration?). I was not disappointed. I like this one a lot, with notable tracks including An Angry Blade and Muddy Hymnal. I think I might actually prefer this album to Our Endless Numbered Days, but perhaps more comparison is needed. That shouldn't be a problem. I recommend this album to those of you out there who enjoy the "sensitive guy with an acoustical guitar" genre. Good stuff.

(side note to Light Strikes a Deal: I think I found that Iron & Wine rarities and covers collection that you recommended, but I have yet to secure it. I'll keep trying and let you know what I think)

4 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Hello katie, thanks for dropping by. I wish I could claim them for my own, but except for a few exceptions in the early days of this blog, the post titles are excerpts of lyrics from the music reviewed in that day's posts.

For example, today's post title comes from Iron & Wine's The Rooster Moans.

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

i love Iron and Wine too. I was especially happy when watching In Good Company (Topher Grace and Scarlett Johansson), an amazing I/W song comes up. The Trapeze Swinger is now one of my iPod regulars... and it's super long, so you can kind of get lost in your mind as the song goes on, and you forget where you are. It provides ample time to mind sweep, and still return for some kick ass lyrics.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hi Lisa V.-

You know, I've seen In Good Company, but I didn't catch the Iron & Wine in the soundtrack. I see now after I look it up that actually three I&W songs appeared in the film. Hmmm... I really didn't care for the movie (which may explain my lack of attention in picking up on the I&W) but the soundtrack looks like it has some good tracks on it. I think I might just check it out. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

I am total agreement with your placement of Creek vs. Endless. If I could only take one Iron & Wine album with me, it would be Creek. I still haven't gotten used to the hifi Iron & Wine sound. I'm glad your looking into the unreleased and home recordings. Those tracks are my favorites. Better than any of the his LP's which is saying a lot.

Side note: I saw Iron & Wine play at Calvin College in Grand Rapids last year. There was a full band including not one but two drummers. WTF? Give me sensitive dude with a single accustic anytime.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home