Thursday, March 16, 2006

As of Now I Bet You’ve Got Me Wrong; So Unsure We Reach for Something Strong

Thursday. Yet another busy day, but not as bad as the other days have been this week. I uploaded the receivables website this morning and I have spent the rest of the day trying to put together slides for my presentation in two weeks. I had to get one of the sets of slides done by today since they are a section of a greater presentation, so I really had to crack to get those done. Other than that, I've been working on collections since I'm still trying to bring in those big $$$s by the end of the month.

I didn't have any new music to review today and nothing in my head, which usually results in a trip to the old CD collection to pick something out. However, since I have been mp3 boy for a while and I've been doing these reviews daily for almost a year now, it's beginning to be slim pickings trying to find something in the collection that hasn't been done before. Even more often it ends up being a group that was modern rock when I bought the album, but now has sadly become classic rock during my lifetime. Hence is the case with today's selection, Alice in Chains.

I used to be all about the grunge music. I wore flannel and Doc Martens and saw all of the big bands in concert: Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. Of all of these bands I think that Alice in Chains was by far the best. Their album Dirt is a pure work of genius. Jar of Flies is pretty amazing as well. I'm sure today's youngsters think of these bands the same way I do about the hair bands of the '80s (i.e., they suck royally), but these guys are actually really good. The lyrics are well written, and back when I was hearing these songs for the first time I really connected with them. Sure, they played some of your typical grunge stuff (I actually didn't care much for their Facelift album), but a lot of their later work is quite melodic and beautiful. Today I didn't just listen to a certain album, I just put in a mix disc of some of my favorite AiC tunes, some of which include Swing on This, Whale and Wasp, Brother, and Nutshell.

It's funny because I hardly ever listen to any of Alice in Chain's contemporaries any more, but I still really like these guys a lot. For those who are generally turned off by the whole grunge thing, I recommend checking out some tracks on Jar of Flies and their releases there after. You just might be surprised.

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

"man in the box" still one of my favourite songs ever...

and just because it's classic doesn't make it bad... anymore than old jane's addiction is bad.

these bands started things and will always rock for me because of that :)

Friday, March 17, 2006 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hello sass-

No, being "classic" definitely doesn't make something bad. I was just lamenting the fact that when I turn on the classic rock stations I hear things that I remember when they were new. Or when I turn on the modern rock channel they have "back to the '90s weekends" and other such reminders that my age is advancing.

Jane's Addiction is one of my favorite bands ever. I plan on being 103 and still rocking out completely to Pigs in Zen.

Friday, March 17, 2006 10:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home