Tuesday, April 04, 2006

My Friends Say No, Don’t Go For that Cotton Candy

Tuesday. Wow, it has been another really busy day here again today. I am still trying to catch up from being out, plus trying to do everything that keeps coming my way. Of course, I realize that these waves of being busy will eventually subside and things will go back to the point where I will be searching for things to do to keep me going. However, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, I have a few ideas of what I can do when that time comes, so hopefully that will take care of that problem. In other work news, a whole bunch of old receivables are finally coming in on my accounts. I have been shaking these trees for months now, and now things are starting to come loose. I have $500k in aged items going back to 2004 coming in on one account alone. April is starting out to be a good month, yes indeed.

I am kind of behind on picking up new music to review, so please forgive me. I still owe Light Strikes a Deal a JoannaNewsom review here, a situation I plan on correcting soon. Today I listened to Gaucho by Steely Dan. I don't know if I've reviewed Gaucho as an individual album, but I know I've done Steely Dan before. Those guys are pretty sweet. Some of you out there may be puzzled by how I can go from discussing Bad Religion one day to discussing Steely Dan the next, but my music tastes are just crazy like that. I'm reminded of this guy I met perhaps my first week of my freshman year in college. I was in his dorm room checking out his music collection (a CD collection can tell a lot about a person) and it was all heavy metal except one CD by Steely Dan. I chuckled out loud about this anomaly, in which he responded somewhat defensively "What? These guys are f'n sweet!" They sure are, dude, they sure are.

Of course one of the best parts about doing Steely Dan reviews is the large amount of trivia surrounding the band. I wrote about some here, but that for sure doesn't cover it. These guys have quite a history. Anyway, Gaucho is pretty good, but I like Aja better. However, the album is worth picking up just for Hey Nineteen alone. Other recommended tracks include Babylon Sisters and Third World Man. Definitely good stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

my latest discovery is sufjan stevens but everyone i mention him to already knows about him

*grumble*

and i've been revisiting my youth with some depeche...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hi Sass, I've heard of him, too... but if it makes you feel any better it was from your blog when you said you picked up one of his CDs the other day...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

that *does* make me feel better... it's nice to be first once in a while

:)

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home