Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Flow is Getting Stronger with Smaller Increments of Time and Eddies of New Ideas are Increasingly Hard to Find

Tuesday. Well, tomorrow is the big financial conference so today I am pretty much tying up any loose ends and making any last minute changes to my presentations. I fly out at 6:00am so that means I will be waking up at around 3:30am to make the hour drive to the airport, check-in, go through security, etc. I can always count on getting flagged for special screening ever since they found a pair of mini-scissors in my school backpack several years ago (I had used them to make flashcards and forgot about them). After that embarrassing incident, security has pulled me aside every time I've flown. What can you do? I'm a marked man...

Since today is my quasi-Friday I picked something a little more upbeat to start out my morning drive. I had Bad Religion in my head the other day, so that is whom I chose for today's selection. These guys are one of my all-time favorite punk bands. Not only are they totally rockin' but to me the lyrics are perfect. It's unfortunate that due to the medium in which they are presented that they are often unclear to the unseasoned listener. These verses transcend the usual punk anarchy themes. The lead singer holds a doctorate in evolutionary biology and his intelligence is reflected in his writing. So each time I listen I get hit with the one-two combo of awesome punk rock and excellent lyrics. I can't help but smile. I love these guys. I could go on and on, but since I've already reviewed them here I'll stop for now.

I've mentioned a few times before on this blog that in an alternate plane of existence I am a lead singer in a punk rock band (among other things in other respective planes). I just want you all to know that in this other dimension we do a killer cover of Bad Religion's We're Only Gonna Die.

Also, since I will be out of town until Friday and won't have access to a computer, I very unfortunately won't be able to update this blog for the next few days. Please try to fight back those tears, and I'll see you all when I get back.

5 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

in an alternate plane of existence, i'm in a pat benetar tribute band.

i don't want to talk about it.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Only a few galaxy's over, I'm Lisa, backup singer and performer from Prince's band "The Revolution". We're currently touring the Purple Rain album, and I'm loving my lopsided haircut, my pushed-up boobs and the fact that I get to sing "The Beautiful Ones" with Prince... sigh...
(best album of all time, btw).

Thursday, March 30, 2006 5:59:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

So does that mean, Kat, that I can't ask if you do the same shimmy move that Pat does in her Love is a Battlefield video?

Lisa- Purple Rain the best album of all time?! Obviously you've never heard Weird Al's Dare to be Stupid...

There was a Lisa in the Revolution, though. Could this be your alter-ego? (sorry, I tried to find a lop-sided hair pic, but came up empty...)

Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Oh, trust me, I know that there was a Lisa in the Revolution... I used to pretend it was me. I was about 8 or 9 at the time, and there was an intro to a song on that album that went like this:
"Wendy?"
"Yes, Lisa?"
"Is the water warm enough?"
"Yes, Lisa".
"Shall we begin?"
"Yes, Lisa"...

I never knew what "Darling Nikki" ("I met her at a hotel lobby masterbating with a magazine...") was about, but sang it outloud. And FYI, Purple Rain remains to be my absolute choice for desert island disk. I can listen to it over and over and over, not even in an ironic way. I'm perhaps one of the few remaining Prince fans out there in a non-ironic way. I did a cover of Purple Rain that I'm actually kind of proud of. I should forward it to you ;)

Saturday, April 01, 2006 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

I used to work with a guy who felt the same way as you do about Purple Rain and we would listen to it all of the time. As a result, I am inadvertantly quite familiar with that album. When Purple Rain first came out I was living in Tennessee (please don't hold that against me) and the wife of one of the senators of that state (you might have heard of him: Al Gore. He had a run at the US presidency in 2000) took particular offense to Darling Nikki and as a result founded the PMRC, an organization intent on censuring the free speech rights of musicians, artists, etc. As a result we Yanks have a delightful "parental advisory" sticker on what are deemed as offensive lyrics. Of course, those stickers just pointed out which albums were the good ones to buy... ;-)

Also, during my short-lived return to Minnesota a few years back, I lived in Chanhassen, home to Paisley Park Studios, the Purple Mansion, etc. Funny, I never ran into Prince at say, the grocery store or the local McDonalds, though. I thought sure I would at least bump into him in his PJs picking up a coffee and newspaper some Sunday morning, but alas, it never happened...

Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home