Thursday, April 06, 2006

Typically Terrific, Busy and Prolific

Thursday. I'm having another busy day, but that's ok because the day is flying by. I spent the morning uploading the receivables website. It started out as kind of a pain due to some server problems, but I eventually got things straightened out and got everything taken care of. The collections are still rolling in and that is very much a good thing. I am working on some more of these collections right now, and once these items clean up things will start looking pretty nice on johnny's accounts. Take notice, Big Boss Lady.

This morning I listened to Illinois by Sufjan Stevens. Or is it Come on Feel the Illinoize? Amazon and other places list it as Illinois, but it clearly says Come on Feel the Illinoize on the album cover. I'm confused. If someone could please clarify things for me I would appreciate it.

Anyway, I had never heard off this guy a few weeks ago. A few days back, though, I was reading Sassinak’s blog and she mentioned that she picked up some CDs and listed this as one of the albums that she purchased. Since I am an obsessive music junky always on the lookout for new tunes, I made a mental note to check him out. Then the very next day I read an article in the paper about album art going by the wayside in the day of electronic media and downloading, and this album was mentioned as one of the more creative covers recently released. Apparently there is a controversy (and pending lawsuit) going on over the original cover since it included an unauthorized depiction of Superman. The cover has since been changed. Anyway, after two days of this guy's name coming up I saw it as a sign that I better check this album out.

And so I did. And I really liked it. At first I thought that he sounded like another Iron & Wine "sensitive guy with a guitar" artist. That was until the horn flourish kicked in. Then it went back to acoustic. Then some electric guitar. More horns. Other musical interludes. Then back to acoustic. This album really keeps you guessing. I have to admit, though, that I didn't finish the whole thing. This is a long album and despite having an hour-long morning commute, I still had 5-6 songs left to hear. I am excited to listen to the rest, though. I really liked this one. Even after only one listen, I'm confident enough to give it a strong recommendation. Good stuff. Thanks, Sass.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

See, i don't get the Sufjan thing... my friends in toronto are really into him, and i find it all a bit too dull. i listen to it waiting for something to happen, some lyric or musical turn to catch my interest, and it doesn't happen. ah, well, we can't all be into it all, right?

Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

yeah... can you believe that some people don't like The Cure? ;-)

Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

lol
and some people don't like early depeche mode *shakes head*

:)

as for sufjan it's kind of cool. he goes to a state and hangs out for a while and then writes basically a rock opera of the state and records it there too.

he did a michigan one too but i haven't heard it yet.

i love that it just keeps you guessing, you never know what's about to happen... (and the song titles!)

Friday, April 07, 2006 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hi Sass- yeah, I forgot to mention the song titles. Are they like the longest ones you've ever heard of or what?

Friday, April 07, 2006 7:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home