Thursday, August 10, 2006

So Much Time Inside, When You Put it Aside You Waste it; You See Your Fortune Lie, You Can Decide to Wake It

Thursday. Well, I missed another post yesterday. Sorry about that. On top of how busy it's been around here lately, the Big Boss Lady was in town yesterday. So, I didn't get much time to squeeze blogging in since I had to pretend to be busy all day. Actually, I really have been super busy so I didn't have to fake it. I am getting slammed in all directions right now with no sign of it letting up. Of course, I'd rather be busy than bored, but I have to lament not being able to blog as a result.

The Big Boss Lady did take me out to lunch yesterday to make up for when she was in town for my review and we found out that the restaurant we wanted to go to was closed. So, we went back and this time it was open, and let me tell you it was pretty darn good. I think I'm still stuffed a day later...

I had some new music yesterday, too. That's ok, though, because I can just carry it over to today. For a while now I have seen Sassinak advertise the musical artistry of one Xavier Rudd on her blog. I was curious about who this guy was, but it wasn't until I saw his name on her music wish list that I finally decided to check him out. Boy, am I glad that I did. This guy is good. The music fairy finally came through and I had the opportunity the past two mornings to check out Solace and Food in the Belly, respectively.

Mr. Rudd originates from Australia. I read comparisons of him to Jack Johnson, but to me he sounds more like if you put Ben Harper, Paul Simon, and Cat Stevens in a blender and hit liquefy. What sets him apart from these artists is that beyond the acoustic guitar, he also plays authentic Aboriginal instruments. This brings a really rich sound to compliment his soft, easy voice. I put Paul Simon in the blender because Food in the Belly reminded me a lot of Simon's excellent Graceland. However, change Africa for Australia, give it a few tweaks and you get another excellent release. Solace sounded more Ben Harper-ish to me, but still, this is just to give you an idea of his style. Mr. Rudd has definitely captured a sound all his own.

I very much enjoyed both albums and highly recommend them. Thanks, Sass. I guess I should have checked him out before. I didn't know what I was missing. Hmmm... What else is on your list?

3 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

*whips out food in the belly and tosses in cd player*

ahhhhh

god he's amazing. good spirits is a fantastic live album as well... but that one i have.

i have really eclectic friends which gives me great stuff to choose from :)

you're welcome :)

Friday, August 11, 2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

also look for roots manuva...

and the roots 'brand new second hand'

:)

Friday, August 11, 2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Yeah, I think this guy is awesome. I spent the weekend listening to both albums. Definitely good stuff. I'll have to check out Good Spirits for sure.

I'll also keep an eye out for Roots Manuva. Thanks for the recommendations, Sass, I super appreciate it.

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home