Monday, July 31, 2006

Even in My Dreams My Words Get Blown Away

Monday. Well, since last week was so mind-numbingly boring, I decided to come in this week with a fresh start and see if I can kick myself out of this funk that seems to be plaguing me ever since I returned to work from my surgery. You see, things have just been kind of dragging lately, and while I don't expect to derive immense pleasure from my job function, I would at least like to spend the day in at least some mild sort of bliss. Sure, work is lame, but this is the time I've got and I have to do the best I can with it, right? So, I decided I was going to turn things around and get back on the upswing.

Well, while today wasn't exactly a buzzing ball of excitement, it has been better than any day last week (at least so far...). I had a spreadsheet report to do this morning, and I had a couple of teleconferences to attend. Other than that I have been working on collections since the combination of me being out a week and a half and the customer changing business software systems a month ago has had a few negative effects on my receivables base. Nothing too crazy, but when you are used to continual positive progression, the slightest dip can be unnerving.

Speaking of dips, once again I am without new tunes to discuss. Don't get me wrong, I have a few artists/albums that I want to check out, but I have not yet been able to procure them. Trust me, though, I am working diligently to resolve this dilemma and hopefully I will have some new stuff soon. In the meantime, I pulled out Bossanova by the Pixies to listen to on the drive in. I know, I've talked about the Pixies like a bajillion times on this blog, but after a little hiatus I had to get my fix. These guys are just too darn cool. I like this album a lot, but I have one grievance with it. There is a noticeable lack of Kim Deal. Of course, this lack of an outlet is what led to her forming The Breeders, but still, couldn't Francis afford her at least one track? She doesn't even do backups on this album. What a waste.

Even though one does not get a Gigantic Deal when listening to this album, I enjoy it just the same. Dig For Fire is a great tribute to David Byrne and the Talking Heads' signature style, and Velouria and Allison are excellent tracks as well. If you are new to the Pixies you might want to go with Surfer Rosa or Doolittle first. If you already have those albums but not this one, then what are you thinking? Was your copy stolen or something? Round out your collection today!

3 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

i have two recommendations...

listen to 'the wall' by luther wright and the wrongs (it's sick and twisted and awesome)

and i haven't heard the album but dubblestandart kicked ass on stage this weekend...

oh wait and christine fellows rocks also in that super mellow lyrics with messages sort of way. even lsd might like her...

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Awesome! Thanks, Sass, I'll check out all three for sure.

Glad you had a good time at Hillside. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 2:52:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

you're welcome
i think it's actually some title like 'luther wright and the wrongs rebuild the wall'

or whatever :)

dude hillside rocked, it was just mellow and introspective too...

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home