Friday, July 21, 2006

Inconceivable, Unbelievable, Grammar Like a Hammer Information Receivable

Friday. Man is this day ever dragging. Seriously, if time were going any slower it would be yesterday. I have work to do, but it is all long and monotonous spreadsheet work so it really isn't making the time go by any more quickly. I am so bored right now I am randomly Googling things just to see what comes up. I tried Googling my own name. That sounds incredibly egotistical, but I already knew ahead of time that it wouldn't bring anything up related to me, so I was just curious to see what other "Johns" are out there. Unfortunately this exercise can be fairly depressing as I read about university professors, software engineers, professional animators, musicians, old famous bishops, town founders, and all kinds of other exciting lives and professions that my doppelgangers are enjoying. Me? I'm virtually non-existent, not even a quick blip in the local paper to be found. Forget working on the perfect epitaph. I need to work on the perfect web entry...

I had planned on having some new tunes to discuss today, but due to technical difficulties unfortunately that did not happen. It is Friday, though, so I had to come up with something upbeat as a replacement. I have to get my Friday started off right, ya know. So, I dug deep and pulled out an old Run-DMC mix that I made up a while back. I figured if I couldn't do new music, I should perhaps go in the other direction and kick it old school. Man, was listening to these tunes fun. These songs still hold up even 20 years later. It's kind of funny to me, though, that rappers like Run-DMC and Kool Moe Dee were considered "hard" back in the day, but aren't even close to what is played on regular top-40 radio nowadays. Not that it stopped me from listening to them. Raising Hell was huge when it came out. I don't think there was a fifth-grader at my school who couldn't recite every word of You Be Illin'. I also think that Walk this Way single-handedly led to Aerosmith's resurgence. They were pretty much written off at that point in time, then Wham! Walk this Way comes out and next thing you know Permanent Vacation is topping the charts the following year. And what about the Beasties? There would be no Beastie Boys without Run-DMC and Def Jam Records.

Of course all of this prop-giving is unnecessary since Run-DMC's place in music history is pretty well solidified. They were the bridge that took rap from the underground to the mainstream. The beats were good and the lyrics were positive. As I said before, I had a ton of fun jamming out to these tracks first thing in the morning and that's all that I can ask for on a long Friday morning commute.

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

oh man
walk this way

*drowns in memories of high school and her crush on a boy named pete*

that song introduced me to aerosmith and you are one hundred percent right that that song saved their careers :)

Saturday, July 22, 2006 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

oh, John, I am the queen of googling while bored. It can go on for hours. I've googled myself on many occasions, often looking to see if asshole students have bashed me (ratemyteachers.com is the devil!). I've googled exes on sooo many occasions, and actually contacted my first highschool boyfriend who lives out west compliments of google. I've googled Ryan Adams til I've neared blindness... What did people do before the internet? Read books or something? Could you imagine trying to track down someone that you were looking for before the emergence of the internet. Holy expensive detective, batman!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home