Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fate Isn’t What We’re Up Against; There’s No Design, No Flaws to Find

Tuesday. Man, I am really dragging today. I woke up tired and I haven't been able to shake it even with the cumulative help of four cups of coffee. Not that there is much going on today here at work worth waking up for. I started out this morning doing my pre-upload spreadsheet for the receivables website because it requires little or no hard thinking to put it together. After that I have been mostly doing odds and ends, trying to clean up deductions and other discrepancies on my accounts. As I said, tons of fun to be had for sure. Zzzzzzzzz...

Sorry about the no-post yesterday. I had a bunch of stuff going on here at work due to our customer advising us that we have until September 30th to collect a certain kind of billing from them or we aren't getting paid for those items ever. Yes, they seriously told us that. I know, you are thinking "can they get away with that?" and while the legal answer seems a bit unclear, the customer is moving forward with this plan of action anyway. I can't say who this customer is, but let's just say that they are incredibly big and legal matters don't really concern them all that much. Seriously, who else could get away with this? If my company called up all of our vendors and told them, "hey, you got 2 months to collect all of our past dues or tough luck" we would be run out of business. Needless to say, the Big Boss Lady and all others involved pretty much freaked at this development and we had a bunch of action plan meetings to discuss how we were going to deal with this mess. It's going to be a tough two months. We have been trying to collect on some of this stuff for over 2 years. I don't know if two months' time is going to be enough to make it happen.

On top of that I admit I have just been lame lately. I don't know if it is a post-promotion/post-operative return-to-work slump or what, but my blogging has been a bit sub-par since I got back. For that I apologize. Unfortunately the lameness is going to have to continue for one more day, though. I was all prepared to have a two-part music discussion on Ben Harper's new double album, but when I went to play the first track on my iPod this morning all I got was silence. Apparently the tracks need to be converted to another format in order for them to play (this has happened to me before). So, mid-drive and on the fly I had to find another album to listen to or be stuck with Clear Channel-operated commercial radio (no!!!).

I ended up picking Chutes Too Narrow by the Shins. I'm pretty sure I've already discussed this one before, but it had been a long while since I've heard this album so I decided to give it another spin. I haven't been listening to this album because I have been focusing most of my Shins attention on their Oh! Inverted World album instead. Oh! Inverted World has New Slang on it, which you might have heard featured in the movie Garden State. Anyway, Chutes Too Narrow shouldn't be overshadowed by its sibling because it is pretty darn good in its own right. It is a bit more dynamic than OIW, with songs breaking out of the mellow transcendental mood so predominant on that album. It still sounds like The Shins, though, so if you aren't hip to their sound you might want to skip this one. If you do dig The Shins, then by all means run out and get this album. I think it's pretty darn good. Recommended tracks: So Says I, Turn a Square and Saint Simon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home