Wednesday, March 14, 2007

True Hunting is Over, No Herds to Follow

Three more days. I can't believe it. I read somewhere once that there are few things scarier than a realized dream. I can attest to that sentiment from this experience and others, but I'm not scared per se. I'm just really nervous. This new job is something that I've never done before. What if I completely suck at it? I'm not the kind of guy who can accept personal mediocrity. Basically, I fear the learning curve. I am not accustomed to failure at work. I like being able to perform well at what I do. I don't want to not do well, even if it is just for a little bit. I don't want to let myself or my new fellow co-workers down.

On the other hand, I have been craving change for a long time now. This is what I wanted. This is what I need. I am super excited for the potential that this new job may bring. On paper it is a slam-dunk career move. This could be a serious turning point in my life and professional career. Why live life passively just sitting back waiting for something to happen? Seek out what you want and get it, right?

So, I'm not scared of the change. I say bring it on. But I'm still excitedly nervous for it. I guess that's normal, right? I mean, who wouldn't be? I just keep telling myself that I've felt the same way before every job I've ever had and things pretty much always come out right. When I started one past job I totally freaked out. I thought that there was no way I would make it past the first week. I told myself that I had to hang on for at least a month. That job was horrible, but I lasted almost three years. I figure if I made it at that place anything else has to be a piece of cake by comparison.

The winding down of the job here has been pretty anti-climactic so far. I was in Misery, um, I mean Missouri last week to help train in a couple of my soon-to-be-former co-workers on some of the things only I know how to do, like the receivables website. The person I will be training in is pretty capable, so I think she'll do ok. It is a whole heck of a lot to learn, though, so I hope she is up for the challenge. The Big Boss Lady wanted me to drop everything and fly to St. Louis on short notice to do this, but when I got there the BBL wasn't even there. She was traveling to Philadelphia. Oh well. She is going to be here in Denver, though, for the next three days. Why? I have no idea. She has never done a three-day stay before, not even for any of my reviews or anything like that. Perhaps she wants to make sure that I am going to show up or that I'm not going to steal my stapler or something. The Mrs. thinks that the BBL is freaking out that I am going to leave and no one is going to know what is going on because I am the only one in a company of 8,000+ people who knows how to do a lot of stuff. Quite possibly. Hey, I gave them fair warning and a chance to retain me. They chose not to. I feel no guilt regarding the repercussions they brought upon themselves. However, I will exit gracefully and make sure that I am giving my best up until the very end. I still have friends here that I don't want to screw over, like my sales rep friend in California who agreed to be a reference for me. I owe her at least a smooth transition to the next financial rep she will have to deal with for helping me out. Plus, that's the kind of guy I am, and maybe when it is all said and done they will feel a tinge of regret for just watching me go. Trust me, though; there won't be any regret on my part. I'll be walkin' out that door with smile on my face. Guaranteed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

Congratulations, John. May it all smell like cake.

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:38:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, SLG, I appreciate it. Well, one week down and it was super awesome. I am really enjoying the change. No regrets at all. I'll throw up a post here soon and tell all.

Monday, March 26, 2007 7:14:00 AM  
Blogger Troy Van Leer said...

Hey its been a long time! I dont know what kind of job you got but Im sure you will be fine. There is always anxiety when you are starting something new. If it helps to improve your quality of life, the learning curve will be well worth it. No risk, no reward! Live large brotherman!

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:12:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Troy! What's up, my man? It has been awhile, what's the news? Things are going really well here. My new job is a tax auditing position for a neighboring city. I know it sounds really exciting, but for real it has been a good change for me and I'm totally digging it. The adjustment hasn't been too bad, I'm actually having fun learning something new. As far as the "no risk, no reward" thing, I totally agree. I remember way back when you gave me the same advice at Mystic Lake and I actually left ahead for once. Life would be pretty boring if we didn't take a chance every once in a while. And this one so far seems to be paying off.

Hey, it was good to hear from you. Shoot me an email or drop by here again and catch me up on the haps. Take care, brother-

Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home