Wednesday, January 10, 2007

He Chose His Words From Mouths of Babes, Got Lost in the World

I knew it was there. I had planned on going. However, when I went over to the library just now on my lunch break I couldn't help myself. I had to get a peak. To some people it may be just a long sheet of paper, but it changed my life long before I ever saw it in person. Seeing it there, the first half rolled out and encased in glass, I was immediately overcome with emotion. I was by myself and had to tell someone, so I turned to the security guard sitting there and exclaimed "This is by far the coolest thing ever!" He gave me a knowing smile and nodded. I'm sure he's heard similar sentiments before and probably will hear them many more times again. You see, I just got as close to greatness as I will ever get. I just read directly from Kerouac's On the Road scroll.

I was only there on my lunch break. I could have easily spent the rest of the afternoon dazed in wonderment at its marvel. There was Ti-Jean's manuscript, unabridged, unaltered and "un-aliased." His own handwritten notes and proofreading marks resided in the margin. I read as long as I could with the time I had. I think I am going to go back once a week until I have finished it all. I've read On the Road many times throughout my life. I even took an upper-level college course in it (and made an A+). However, this was the original. Straight from Jack's fingertips. LSD (and other Kerouac fans out there), if the exhibition comes anywhere near you, trust me, you have to go. You won't regret it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Jealous on at least seven different levels. I feel special just reading a blog about reading the manuscript. Thats how f___ing cool this post is.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

The scroll is currently on tour and has been for a few years now. I remember when the guy who owns the Indianapolis Colts won it in an auction (how cool would that be!) and he announced that he wanted to take it "on the road." Back then I saw that it would be in Colorado in like 2 years and never thought I would actually see the day that it would finally arrive. It was well worth the wait. I tried to find a schedule to link to this post, but alas, I couldn't find one. I don't know if it will be in Michigan any time soon, but if it gets any where close I highly recommend hitting the road yourself to go see it.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 11:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home