Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Mountains and the Trees, Are They Just What You Need?

Hey, what can I say? Life has been good lately. Of course, that usually means that life is trying to catch me being complacent before it kicks me square in the rear end again, but for now I’m enjoying it. I’ve been at the new job for two months now and that is still going really well. It’s not the miracle cure for monotonous boredom as I had hoped, but it is definitely WAY better than the old job, that’s for sure. Just the difference of how I’m treated as an employee makes the whole change worth it. I guess that’s the advantage of working for a local, mid-sized municipality versus working for a super large Fortune 500 company that treats labor solely as a resource instead of an asset worth investing in. And man, I sure as heck don’t miss that commute to Denver every morning.

Not much to complain about on a more personal level, either. My allergies have been kicking up the past few weeks, which I only bring up because as faithful Inaction readers may remember, I had nasal surgery last summer to help correct a lot of sinus structural problems that I had been suffering from since, well, birth. And while suffering from seasonal allergies is certainly no picnic, I have to say that it is a completely different experience now that everything has been fixed. First of all, things drain as they are supposed to, as opposed to not draining, building up and blocking my sinus passages, then turning into a lingering infection. I’m aware that mucous is not exactly a subject most bloggers would like to read about, but hey, I think the ability to breathe is something most people take for granted, and trust me, if you finally could after 30 years or so of not being able to, you’d be as ecstatic about allergy drainage as I am.

Ok, maybe not.

In other news, I am going away for Memorial Day weekend, and I am totally pumped. You see, I love summer, I love road trips, and I absolutely love Colorado. This trip will be a combination of all three. A triumvirate if you will. We are going to drive down to Gunnison, CO, this weekend to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. I’ve wanted to visit the Black Canyon for a long time now, and I am very excited at the prospect of finally getting to go there. I have heard it is absolutely gorgeous plus it will give me an opportunity to cross off another NP from my list. You see, I have this odd goal of wanting to visit every national park in the US. I’m not even close to the 56 or so NPs in the US, but after this weekend I’ll be one closer… Plus, I will have finally visited all four Colorado NPs (Rocky Mountain, Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, & Black Canyon of the Gunnison). It only took me 11 years or so of living here, but hey, I’ll have done it, right? I’m sure that there are many CO natives that haven’t been to any of them. How could anyone take for granted the paradise in which we Coloradoans are lucky to live???

Did I mention that I love Colorado?

Even more, I love Colorado during the summer. Some people are here for the winter skiing, but to me nothing beats a Colorado summer. I think that probably tops my long list of reasons of why I love to live here. And since Memorial Day is the unofficial kick-off to summer, I say “bring it on!” I can’t wait. I’ll be sure to post plenty of pictures so you all can understand the reasoning behind this big gushfest. Even better, you all should visit here at some point during your lifetime. You won’t regret it. You may even end up moving here because of it. I did.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Congrats on your shnoz. I happen to suffer from fall allergies. It used to be spring and fall, but the last 10 years or so for some reason the spring pollen doesn't bother me so bad. Still I know what a pain in the ass it is to not be able to breath. My favorite is at night when the snot drains to one side of your head so that you can breath out of one nosteral but not the other. Then you resituate and the snot makes it way to the other side. reversing the good nosteral. Thats really fun at 3 in the morning.

Friday, May 25, 2007 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

I get both spring and fall seasonal allergies. It sucks, but I've just come to accept it. The surgery has definitely helped dealing with it, though.

My favorite is when you lay straight back and everything starts draining into the back of your head and then down your throat giving you the sensation of drowning in your own phlegm. Awesome.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:31:00 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

you know? i'm really glad to see you so happy john, i think it's a great change from when i first read your blog.

have fun national parking

incidentally? find me a nice job teaching pilates and i'll move to colorado sight unseen.

Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, Sass. Life is good right now, what can I say? It has definitely been a welcome change.

I'm pumped about the National Park thing. Even if I don't get to see them all, it would sure expose me to some pretty sweet spots trying. And if I do see them all, maybe I'll have to hit the Canadian ones ;-)

Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home