Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Got a Nikon Camera, I Love to Take a Photograph

We went hiking last weekend in Rocky Mountain National Park to Chasm Lake. It was about an 8.5 mile hike roundtrip with a net elevation gain of about 2,400 feet. The trail is rated as "moderate" but I think that must be on the higher end of moderate because there was a whole lotta up on this trail. In fact, the route you take to get to Chasm Lake is the Long's Peak Trail, which goes to the top of 14,000 ft+ Long's Peak. You may remember me saying a few posts back that our goal was to summit Long's by the end of the summer. Well, using this hike as a measuring stick we may not be ready quite yet. I was feeling good at Chasm Lake and felt like I could go on, but summitting would have added another very strenuous 7 miles to our hike, and honestly after finishing at 8.5 I was pretty beat (along with everyone else in our party). Going up is ok, but going down is killer on my knees.

Anyway, the hike was well worth it and the scenery was absolutely beautiful. I took a bajillion pictures on the way (I really do have a Nikon camera...), some of which I included here:


Here is a shot of the sun rising over the Twin Sisters, which we summitted a few weeks ago. This is when we first started out. Even though we left really early to avoid any afternoon thunderstorms, it really wasn't necessary as the sky was a clear blue for our whole time out.


The first leg of the hike is through a thick woods named "Goblin's Forest." I didn't see any goblins, but I did see a bunch of cool, freaky trees like this one above. Since the trail lead straight up pretty much right off the bat, I didn't mind stopping and shooting a couple pics of them.

Coming out of the Goblin's Forest towards the tree line. Right after this the trail turned into huge rock steps that lead all the way up to the base of Long's and Mount Lady Washington. Did you hear about the guy who went to Mount Lady Washington? Her husband saw and got really ticked...

Once we hit the base of Mount Lady Washington's peak, the views were fantastic. There was even an open-air privy hanging on the side of the mountain that provided some very inspiring vistas in which to do your business. However, as comical as it was, I passed on the opportunity.



At the privy, the trail forks one way to the summit and the other to Chasm Lake. We took the trail to Chasm Lake which hung on the side of Long's and granted us spectacular views of several glacial lakes. This is Peacock Lake above, which I am guessing may be named after its amazing blue-green color. Also pictured is Columbine Falls, which we crossed over on the way to Chasm.



We had to cross several snow fields while transversing to the alpine meadow below Chasm Lake. These were pretty steep and even though it looked like a way fun hill to sled down, I wouldn't recommend it. You might not stop until you hit Estes Park if you do...




Once we got above Columbine falls, we entered an absolutely beautiful alpine tundra meadow. We followed this babbling brook for awhile and saw many butterflies, wildflowers, and even this guy...



Which leads to my obligatory marmot shot. They look much cuter when they aren't trying to steal my lunch...



At the end of the meadow we had to scramble straight up a wall of boulders and rock, which was pretty tough especially at that altitude. But after that we were finally at our destination, Chasm Lake, 11,760 feet above sea level. The backdrop pictured is the top of Long's Peak, but the lake is surrounded on all sides by Mt. Meeker, Long's, and Mt. Lady Washington. I can't even begin to express how serene and beautiful this place was. Very cool.


As you can see, there was still a layer of ice floating on the lake but it was starting to break up around the edges. Look at how clear that water is. Seriously, it was like glass. Very cold glass as I found out when I decided to test it out. A mid-hike swim was definitely out of the question.


Here is some guy standing out down by the lake. Funny, I think I saw this guy on our last hike...

Well, there are this week's pics. As I said, I took a whole schlew of them and it was hard trying to pick out just a few. While the straight up then straight down took it out of me, it was well worth it for the sights we encountered along the trail. I don't know if I'm ready for Long's yet, but I am definitely ready for some more hikes like that. Tons of fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Yeah thats the same guy alright. Who could forget those super model legs. I didn't know primates came in that shade of white.

Just kidding John, your legs are the normal bright white of most caucassion men.

The hike looks amazing and I know what a thrill it is to see those mountain lakes. Like, Oh, this is what water is supposed to look like. I was often tempted to not bother using my water filtration system on some of those mountain hikes. There wasn't a spec of anything in the lakes.

You make me jealeous. First because you're getting into way better shape than me. And second because oh my god, just look at these pictures. Very nice.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

I didn't know primates came in that shade of white

Yeah, I'm part snow monkey. That also explains the disportionately long arms as well.

I have canoed several times in the boundary waters between Minnesota and Canada and the lakes up there are also clear as glass. You can literally see fish swimming around 15-20 feet below you. The rangers told us that the water was pure enough for us to drink straight out of the lake and to fill up our water bottles with it. We tried it, and sure enough no one got giardia. That could have just been luck, though. Next time I'll probably bring a filter.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger kat said...

great pictures.
i enjoy a nice hike, but i'm still trying to find a good system where i can hike up without hiking down.
maybe if i invest in a llama.
oo! or a yak.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, Kat. Pike's Peak has a railroad that runs up and down the mountain, so if you hike up it you have the option to ride the train back down. If I ever summit that one then I am going with that option for sure.

There are several outfits around here that will rent out pack llamas to carry your gear when you hike. I've never tried it myself, but who wouldn't like to hike with a llama? I don't know about yak rentals, though. I'll have to look into it. I hear that they're all the rage in Nepal, though...

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

Its too bad that Rams have to have such bad attitudes. They would be the perfect hiking companions. Stong, agile, at home on the mountain. And you can hang your wet clothes on their horns to allow for a fresh mountain air scent to permiate them as you go.

Damn it, I'm going to see if I can gentically modify the great mountain goat into a hiking partner. I'll make millions. Dollars, not goats. Then again, no... bad idea.

Friday, June 29, 2007 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

You know, LSD, as a Ram and Colorado State alumn myself, I am kinda partial to your idea. However, they tend to butt things with their heads a lot. I'm afraid that I may stop and bend over to tie my shoe, and seeing a prime opportunity the Ram might take a full charge at my posterior and send me flying off the ledge as thanks for making him carry all of my gear. However, if you do decide to genetically modify goats, try to do it like a half goat/human thing like Pan or something. Only bigger and able to carry a day pack. And unable to launch me off a mountain with his/her horns. Let me know how it goes...

Monday, July 02, 2007 1:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home