Sunday, June 03, 2007

Where I's Headed, Well, I Didn't Really Say; The Road was Calling and I's on My Way

Ok, sorry, I know I'm a bit late with these, but here are some shots from my Memorial Day weekend roadtrip:



Curecanti Recreational Area. This is the south part of the Black Canyon, where it opens up into the very impressive Blue Mesa Reservoir. We took an hour and a half boat ride from the reservoir up into the canyon. The first half consists of a tour guide sharing the history of the canyon while the second half was a chance to get up, relax, and snap some sweet pictures.




After the boat ride, we went into neighboring Black Cayon of the Gunnison National Park and looked down. This is a shot of the North Rim of the canyon right off of the Chasm View overlook. This is the narrowest part of the canyon, about 2,100 feet from the bottom.




The Painted Wall, so named by the streaks of color in the wall due to magma shooting through the original rock layers over a billion years ago. Boy, I sound like I know a lot about geology, but really the tour guide in the boat told me that.




Um, this is just a pretty shot that I like. My daughter found a wildflower laying on the path, but the sign said not to pick them, so she set it in the knot of this rail so no one would think that she picked it. My wife came up behind us and caught the picture.




On the way home we stopped in Colorado Springs and climbed to the top of Helen Hunt Falls (I'm really trying hard to suppress a lame Mad About You joke here...). This is about halfway up the falls before the main, big drop.

So, there are a few scenery shots of Southwest Colorado. It was a beautiful weekend and I had a super amount of fun. I know I got all gushy in my last post about how much I love Colorado summers, but seriously, with places like this right out your backdoor how could you not love living here? Anyway, it was a great kick-off to the summer season and I am way pumped to get out there and enjoy those mountains some more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

I nearly sent you this amazingly beautiful picture of a rusted out old ford in the middle of the woods near my home. But really even that can't compare with the landscapes of Colorado. Simply gorgeous.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Yeah, I know that I gush a lot about how much I love living in Colorado, but hopefully these pictures demonstrate that at least it isn't completely unwarranted...

And you can send me sweet shots any time you want, although I am having difficulty believing that in Michigan anyone would dare let a Ford rust... ;-)

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pics! check out the post a few ago... wrote you a nice long rant! GOOO PRINCE!!!!!

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, SLG. More pics coming soon.

I read your comment to that earlier post and replied back. Also, if you don't want to post as "anonymous" you can choose "other" and type in SLG or whatever name you want to give yourself. Or you can remain anonymous. As long as you comment, that's all that matters ;-)

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

Is SLG posting somewhere again? Oh how I miss her.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Sadly, Small Town Diaries has remained dormant last I checked. And as far as I know, SLG hasn't been blogging anywhere else. I echo your sentiments completely. Come back SLG!!! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home