Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I Got No Reason to Turn My Head and Look the Other Way; We’re Good and We’re Evil, Which One Will I Be Today?

So, I haven’t posted in awhile because I’ve been kinda down lately. First, my cat disappeared over two weeks ago, which pretty much came about from me being a bonehead and locking him out (see previous post). Then a culmination of other errors followed, including one of the sort that you anguish about days later wondering how in the world you could have been such an idiot. So, I have been pretty much wallowing in my own self-pity trying to sort out the existential question of whether or not I was an inherently good person who made dumb mistakes because it is a part of human nature, or if I am an inherent screw-up who is striving to be a good person, but keeps making mistakes because it is in my personal nature that I can’t escape.

I haven’t slept that well lately. I haven’t hiked in two weeks (although I did spend two lovely weekends with the family instead), and I have spent the past few days in a somewhat mild depression going over and over in my head how I can try to turn things around and make up for my blunders. Luckily, they can be made up, but it will just take a whole lot more work than if I would have just done things right the first time around. What really bugs me is how someone like myself who is typically very rational and level-headed could make such rash decisions and screw things up so badly as a result. Don’t worry, it’s not anything major. I didn’t get arrested, commit adultery, gamble away my life savings, or anything like that. It is simply the kind of thing that you would hear and say, “yep, you were a bonehead.” And that really bothers me because I don’t like to consider myself a bonehead. However, recent evidence has pretty much pointed in that direction.

Then yesterday evening I got a phone call. Apparently a neighbor just saw a flyer that the girls and I hung up a week and a half ago regarding our missing kitty cat. He apologized for just now seeing it and calling, but a cat that matched that description has been visiting him on and off for the past few days. He said he is really friendly and likes to come over whenever he and his wife are outside doing yard work or whatever. He just thought that he was a neighborhood cat since he looked healthy and well-fed. Then he saw our sign and gave us a call to let us know to not give up hope and that next time he saw him he would try to catch him and give us a call. The girls were very excited to get that news.

This morning I was getting dressed and grabbed my cell phone and saw that I had a message waiting. My neighbor had called late last night to tell us that he had our cat and to give him a call anytime to come pick him up. So, before work today I called and went to meet my neighbor’s wife to get our kitty. They literally lived right around the corner, a few houses down. If he was that close why didn’t he just come home? Anyway, she was out in her garage with him in her arms and I knew right away it was our cat. She said he still looked well-fed (he is a BIG kitty) but I could tell he had thinned out a little. He also got in a scrap with some kind of animal because he had a big scratch down the side of his face. But it was him, no doubt about it. I walked him back home and both girls were in the front yard waiting. As soon as they saw me coming down the street with him in my arms they both started yelling cheers of joy. We brought him inside to his food dish and he must have been pretty dehydrated because I think he drank water for at least 5 minutes straight. Then he went around the house sniffing, purring, and rubbing everything with all signs indicating that he was happy to be home. My other cat, though, was not as thrilled as she hissed at him when she first saw him. I think she was enjoying having full run of the house and getting all of the attention as the only cat in the family. Oh well, I think she’ll eventually come around.

So, right now I am still grooving on the feel-good vibes of getting our cat back. I still need to pay penance for my recent bonehead mistakes, but I now have this little reminder to not give up hope. After being gone for over two weeks, our cat has come back to us. Things can still turn around, even if you have long written your chances off. There is always hope, even for a complete screw-up like me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Its totally not fair that you are keeping the bonehead move a secret. I revel in other peoples mistakes. It makes me feel like less of a fuck up myself. I find admitting that I made a mistake to myself is far easier than appalogizing for it to someone else. Still, after I do manage to eak out the words, "I'm sorry for hurting your feelings and disappointing you." I generally don't feel that my pride has been wounded all that badly.

Just watch out for the won't let it go folks. I've gotten into more trouble upon owning up to my mistakes because the person who was receiving the appalogy was in the mood to lay on a guilt trip. You know the routine.

LSD-I'm sorry.
other person- Well it really made me mad that you....
LSD- Yes, you're right, I was wrong.
Other person- Its just that when you.....
LSD- OK, well I made a mistake.
Other person- I just don't know what you were thinking when you....
LSD- Hey! I said I was sorry already. What's wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with you? Let me tell you something. You're.....

Yeah, don't do that.

Glad you found Tom. Michigan beaches will never be the same.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

I trusted the wrong person and got burned. Pride and pocketbook took a small hit. But, hey, that's what I get for putting my faith in humankind. New motto: trust no one.

Tom said that he dug Michigan. Literally. So you might not want to walk barefoot on those beaches for awhile...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

Dude, was this person from Nigeria? Cause I can tell you right now a few bad apples have pretty much ruined the reputation of the entire Nigerian Country.

Luckily for me, I found a really honest Nigerian guy. I'm helping him recover a vast furtune here in the States. In return, he's going to make me rich beyond my wildest dreams. I just feel bad for him. It must be terrible being so sick all the time.

Everyone gets cheated or swindled at some point in their life. In fact, its generally the kindest people that are most at risk. We're more likely to try to help another person out. Sometimes when we do, we get burned. Sometimes we put all of our stock in a high performing energy company like Enron and get screwed.

One time I absent mindedly walked up to a trash can and threw my wallet in while walking out with a tray full of McDonalds food wrappers.

I happen to know a man that invested all of his savings into a business endevour that turned out to be scam. He didn't even have enough money left over to hire a lawyer in order to take his scamming partner to court. The really sad part about this is that he is of a retirment age.

You and I are young. We can recover. Your kids can still go to college. This guy. He's pretty much fucked.

So learn from it and move on. Don't beat yourself up. That and I need your help. You see, my uncle just died and he left me a huge sum of money in a bank under your house.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Yeah, I'm out $60. Not enough to ruin my children's future, but enough to feel the sting. It could have been a whole lot worse. The part that gets me is how a naturally skeptic guy with a master's degree in business, who spent four years doing risk analyses of potential credit risks, and who claims to have a built in "BS-ometer" could so easily be duped. Oh well, like you said, it happens to everyone at one time or another. The good news is that at this point in time I have $15 back. Yee-haw! Now only if my pride and self-respect could bounce back as easily...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Wow, you guys are really fucking NICE. I'm such a bitch. Honestly, I think I need to see the blood before you'll get a dime. I have a hard time trusting what anybody says. In fact, when people talk to me, I'm almost always listening for sarcasm. One time, someone was pouring their heart out, and I figured that there was no way this was in earnest. So I laughed. And they didn't. Again, total bitch. Hard to rip off, too.

Glad to hear about your cat. I couldn't imagine losing my dogs. They are my little babies. Happy ending, though!

And to just give my opinion on the existential crisis? I think we are all fuckbags just trying to make good. Not vice versa. That in mind, you're overcoming nature most of the time. That's impressive.

(by the way, I think I'm digging the old blog out of the grave. It's now a zombie blog. Un-dead)

Sunday, August 05, 2007 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

OOOOH!!! And have you heard the new album by Kevin Drew from Broken Social Scene??? Soo good!

And what about the new one by The National? Boxer? What do you think??? Saw them live in T.O. and they were soooo amazing. Beyond.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

SLG!!! Wecome back. The blogiverse has seriously missed you.

You're right. I am too nice. I can act like I'm an a$$hole for work, but really I'm just a nice guy playing pretend.

(I bet that's the rationale all the business-type a$$holes use. I truly have sold out.)

The good news is that not only did I make back the $60, but I also got $35 ahead. So, I can't make up that it ever happened, but at least I was able to recover financially.

(As if $60 is that much in the grand scheme of things, but hey, it's the principle of the thing)

I have no idea why I'm talking in parantheticals (yes, I do. I do it all of the time because I'm a cheap writing hack. Check back through old posts if you don't believe me...) but am very happy to hear that the Diaries are coming back. I kept your link up just in case you ever decided to come back (actually, I'm really lazy. That's why I never removed the links for my two slacker friends who haven't posted in like 2 years).

I am sorry to say that I haven't heard any new stuff from The National or BSS. I have been lame with music lately. I didn't even get to see Modest Mouse at Red Rocks a few days ago. MODEST MOUSE AT RED ROCKS! I don't think a better concert could exist. However, circumstances dictated that I had to spend that evening elsewhere. I am still feeling the pain.

Anyway, I will for sure check those recommendations out and let you know. Thanks!

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home