Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Mountain Came to Recognize It's Deep and Rocky Sides

So, I finally went hiking again last weekend after taking over 3 weeks off. And since we had that little break to let our muscles go soft, we decided to take it easy and climb a Fourteener.

A "Fourteener" is a mountain over 14,000 ft above sea level. There are 88 Fourteeners in the contiguous United States, with 54 of them residing right here in Colorado. Out of the 54 Colorado Fourteeners, we climbed #38: Mt. Bierstadt at 14,060ft.

If you are a Coloradoan, climbing a Fourteener is like losing your virginity. It is very much a bragging right around here. Some people seek to climb all 54 of them. Certifiably insane people try to climb them all during the winter. Our goal this summer was to summit at least one of them. My ultimate goal is to do Long's Peak (#15, 14,255ft), but after doing Bierstadt I don't think I'm quite ready yet. As far as Fourteeners go, Bierstadt is considered a relatively easier one to accomplish. If that's one of the easier ones, I definitely don't think I'm ready for a climb one as difficult as Long's. Someday, though, someday...

Anyway, here are some of the pics from the hike:

The first part of the trail goes through kind of a muddy swamp full of pointy willow bushes. The boardwalk pictured above is only a few years old. Before that, you had to slog your way through the marsh in ankle-deep mud while getting your thighs scraped apart by the willow branches. Old school hikers lament the boardwalk and argue that traversing the willow swamp was part of the rites of climbing Bierstadt. I, myself, was happy to have a clear trail and to not have wet slimy socks for the rest of the 7-mile hike. Call me a wuss, I guess.

Oh, that's Mt. Bierstadt on the right. Those jagged points make up the Sawtooth that leads to another Fourteener, Mt. Evans. But I'll get to that in a little bit...


After you get out of the swamp, you encounter a series of switchbacks that take you to the base of Bierstadt. You still have to deal with willows, which at times can be shoulder high. I didn't think that this part of the hike was too bad, but it definitely got me huffing and puffing.


Once you clear the willows, you get a bit of a reprieve as the path takes you through an alpine tundra and up to the real ascent. As you can see, it was a bit busy on the trail that day. However, this field was very pretty with little wildflowers growing everywhere. The air was a bit thin up here, but it was a nice, restful stretch before the trail literally shoots straight up the mountain.


After a long, hard, steady straight-up climb, the trail finally levels off a bit and provides a great resting point before hitting the final summit. There is no vegetation this high up, it is literally just a big pile of rocks. Way out in the distance you can see two other Fourteeners: Grays and Torreys. You see that road down there? That's where we parked. I am pretty high up at this point and I'm not even at the peak yet.



That's the peak. It is literally a hands & knees rock scramble up to the top from here. Don't be fooled, those rocks are big. As hard as that last bit of climbing was, I knew by this point that I was going to make it. There was no turning back now.
I hiked a little bit with that guy in the green backpack. He was cool. It was his first Fourteener, too. He had just moved here from Indiana a few months ago and wanted to get one in right away. I moved here 11 years ago and just now got one under my belt. Hey, I was acclimating to the altitude...



Here I am signing the register at the top to document that I made it. Yee-haw! Again, you can see it was a bit crowded that day which kind of took away from the "alone on the top of the world" experience, but it was still extremely cool. Unlike, say Pikes Peak, which is surrounded by a large metropolitan area, Bierstadt is completely surrounded by mountain wilderness and provided some of the best 360 degree views that I have ever seen on one of these hikes. It was absolutely breath-taking (and I'm not just talking about the altitude).



That's Mt. Evans, which is connected to Bierstadt by a ridge of rocks known as "The Sawtooth." Some inspired hikers climb along the Sawtooth over to Evans and knock out two Fourteeners in one shot. I was not that inspired. One was definitely enough for me that day. Plus, the Sawtooth is pretty technical and not to be ventured by amateurs such as myself. On a side note, though, the highest road in the US leads up to the top of Mt. Evans, so some people park a car up there, climb Bierstadt over to Evans and then drive down saving them a climb back down the mountain. For that, the Sawtooth might be worth risking. My knees absolutely hate climbing down.



Eventually I did get down, aching knees and all. It was just in time, too, as you can see our clear blue morning sky quickly turned into a dark, cloudy afternoon. On top of a 14,000 ft. mountain is definitely not where you want to be when you see storm clouds moving in. But by this point we were safely back at our vehicle, completely exhausted from the day's excursion. The mrs. said that she is definitely not interested in doing another Fourteener any time soon, especially Long's Peak which would be over twice as long and probably three times as difficult. While I'm not ready to do another one right away, I am all for getting some more under my belt. As I said, I don't think I'm ready for Long's Peak quite yet, but someday it will be mine. Oh yes, someday it will be mine.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

The last time I did any serious hiking I decided to start off with an 8 mile hike up Mt. Catillac. While this is seriously just a little bump on the ground compared to a 14,000 footer, it was highest peak at Acadia. Being ambitious I decided to pack about 50lbs. into my pack before I left. Several weeks later, I would be taking large groups of kids out and I wanted to be able to haul at least 50 lbs. if I needed to.

Well it turns out that 50lbs on the way up is no problem, but 50 lbs. on the way down incures the wrath of tendonitis in both knees. I seriously thought I needed to go the hospital and have surgery after that hike. It took the better part of two weeks to heal up from that. By the end of the summer, I was as fit as I could ever be. And the decents were a piece of cake. But never underestimate how hard it is to go down hill. It sucks some serious ass.

Congratulations on your 14er. I grovel in your presence. Someday I will go to Colorado and hike a 14,000ft. peak. Maybe I'll see you at the top.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

I carried an 80-pound pack up a 10,000ft mountain in New Mexico once. We were camping just below the peak and there was no running water available. So, I had 40 pounds of my own gear plus a 40 pound water carrier to haul up. I was, however, 18 years old and probably in the best shape of my life at that point. I highly doubt I would be able to pull that one off again.

Some people love going down, and I think most people assume it's easier. I have a much better time hiking up myself. I don't know if it is how I support my weight, or the position of my footing or what, but almost immediately I get throbbing pains on the back part of my knees. Maybe it is tendonitis, since that is where the pain seems to stem from. I should probably have a doctor check it out because I for sure don't want to give up hiking. I'll wear a brace, use poles, whatever, but I'm not giving it up even if I have to belly crawl up there.

If you ever come out this way, we should definitely do some hiking together. In fact, I already know of a great hike. I can see right out my window. It's a little hill called Long's Peak...

Seriously, though, Rocky Mountain NP is only like 45mins. away and offers hikes of all levels of difficulty. Even if you just stay in the car it is well worth a visit. I highly recommend seeing it at some point in your lifetime. Trust me, you won't be dissapointed.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:27:00 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

two things
1. there's new links to newly discovered musical artists on my current post
2. dude! that's a freaking awesome looking hike. holy god i have so got to finish fixing my ankles and head out to some hills.

as for your knees, i'm going to have to think about that. if i haven't given you any ideas in two weeks come ask me what my brain came up with :)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Sass-

Yeah, I was very lucky to do a lot of great hikes this summer, but I think this one was my favorite just for the vistas alone. I'm going to have to take up snowshoeing or something this winter so I can keep my hiking legs in shape for next summer if I am going to do any more of these big climbs. I'm also going to have to figure out this knee problem. It only hurts (incredibly) when I go down, but as soon as I level out it's fine. I welcome any tips that you might have. As I said, I'm not giving up hiking so any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I'm headed to your blog right now to check out the music recommendations. I'm always on the lookout for new tunes. Thanks!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

oh yeah and i'm REALLY REALLY GLAD the cat came back

i had a miracle like that once too... sure is nice huh?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Congratulations! Mountains are truly inspiring. Just got back from the alps, and man... gasp...
i'd love to see colorado!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, Sass. Yeah, it had been over 2 weeks and we had pretty much assumed that we would never see him again. Then all of a sudden a neighbor called and said they had him. Pretty crazy. He's been a little more mellow since he's been back. I think that time in the "wild" did him some good by giving him some humility. Now he knows he really isn't the top cat around. And yes, we are very happy to have him back.

Hey SLG, glad to hear you had a good trip. I totally dig mountains. I knew after a family vacation out here when I was 10 that I was going to live here some day. I would love to see the alps and do some hiking in another range on another continent. That would be pretty sweet. I'm jealous of all of the traveling you have been doing lately. Someday maybe I'll be able to satiate my wunderlust...

Oh, and as I said to LSD, I highly recommend for everyone to come out this way at least once. I love it here and I seriously couldn't imagine myself living anywhere else.

Friday, August 24, 2007 9:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home