Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Smells Like Autumn, Smells Like Leaves; You Don’t Know That You’ll Rust and Not Belong So Much

I think I’m depressed. Not the serious clinical put-me-on-24-hour-watch type of depression, but the pre-winter, post vacation blah kind of depression. Don’t get me wrong, life is good. No complaints. But I’m still experiencing a let down of sorts from coming back from Florida. I’m a guy who likes to travel and craves to see the world. However, due to financial and personal reasons, we haven’t been able to go on many big vacations in recent years. I was hoping that this excursion to Florida would somewhat satiate my wanderlust, but instead it just exacerbated it. It’s like I got a small taste of what could be, and then left back with what things really are. To make it worse, we are on the cusp of winter and I really don’t like snow and cold. I think I suffer from seasonal affective disorder because the winter months are especially rough for me. Living in Colorado has certainly helped since it is still actually sunny outside during the winter, but still the short days, long nights, and bitter cold really get to me. I’m serious when I say I could easily see myself as a snow bird during my retirement years spending the winter in a timeshare in some warm local where it never snows. Hey, if I had the money I would be doing it now.

But that’s the problem. I don’t have any money. Well, I take that back. I have money, however, I am currently using that money to pay myself back from the time when I didn’t have any money. You see, faithful readers, a few years back the mrs. and I hit a bit of a financial rough patch, you might say (cue violin music). After enduring several rounds of layoffs, wage cuts, and raise freezes for about a year, my number finally came up at my former employer. That was a few months after my wife got laid off from her job. Since the recent economic downturn hit our area pretty hard, employment around here was fairly scarce (and some would argue that it still is). So, with two mouths under 4 to feed and a mounting pile of bills to pay, we got desperate and moved to Minnesota where I took a good job in a place that absolutely sucked. Talk about enduring a bad winter. Not only was living in MN crappy, but we never sold our house in Colorado which meant that we were paying a mortgage on an empty house and all the complimentary bills that go along with it, on top of the rent for the small 2-bedroom apartment we were renting in MN and all of the bills that goes along with that. Sure, I had a better job, but what’s the point of making more money when all of the extra you make is going to pay for an empty house in a place we would rather be at? We were ready to move back within six months. We figured, hey, if we are going to be broke we might as well at least be in a place we love vs. the frozen wasteland hell that goes by the name Minnesota. So, we moved back into our house and I had the very good fortune of staying with my employer from Minnesota but working out of the Denver branch. I eventually changed divisions working for the (former) Big Boss Lady and that pretty much leads up to the beginning of this blog.

Believe it or not, that’s the short version of the story. The good news is that so far life has been leading us up to a happy ending. I worked down in Denver for about three more years and when I finally got fed up with it, I landed a better job much closer to home. The mrs. also has a good job close to home and the two of us together are slowly climbing out of the big hole we found ourselves in when things took a turn for the worst. It’s been a hard climb out, though, and one of the opportunity costs for us having to pay back our massive debt has been to not take whirlwind trips through Europe, winter vacations in Hawaii, or even trips back to see family. This past Florida trip was the first time my whole family had been together in over 2 years. It’s been even longer for the mrs. side.

So now, there’s the conundrum. The mrs. and I have a budget set that will get us out of debt so we can finally go and do the things we want to do. Unfortunately it is going to take a couple of more years to get there. I believe they call that “delayed gratification.” You save and take care of the more pressing things in your present so you can have the means to enjoy the future. The brain says, “That makes sense.” My heart says, “Screw that! Let’s blow the budget on another big vacation!!!!” Right now the brain is winning only by the slightest margin. The heart is putting up one hell of a fight.

So, what’s a depressed, impatient person to do? The mrs. suggested getting a second job and using those proceeds as extra money outside the budget to use towards another vacation and other weekend getaways. Sounds good. So, that’s what I’m doing now. I’m trying to find a part time evening position that isn’t in fast food or telemarketing. Sounds easy enough, but it’s actually been pretty tough trying to work around my current hours. I need a low-stress job that pays me well to just sit around and play on the computer for my whole shift. You know, kinda like my day job but at night…

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

My parents have always had debt and scared me to death when I was getting myself into it with student loans and the like. They made me fear it, but they never let their own control their lives and what they did. They still have debt. They do European trips every few years, have gone to the islands in the winter, and do smaller "keep you sane" trips every year. They always had the perspective of enjoy life while you can, work off the debt as you can... they'll be in an okay position to retire because they contribute well to pension plans, but they never let the debt hang over them in terms of the things they really felt were important. I've kind of inherited that.

From my perspective, travel is great for sure, but the time lost by taking on an extra job would kill me. My husband often talks about taking on extra responsibilities and positions at work so that we can make more money to do more stuff, but I would rather have him home than lose him to more work. I can't tell you how many people he works with can't believe that he doesn't take them up on the offers... they all work a tonne and their wives life in financial bliss. But I want my man home with me; keep the extra money.

But if your Colorado life gives you the doldrums ANYWAYS, then maybe the extra doldrums won't make it feel much worse... and you'll get rewards. But the flip side is that it could, possibly, make your Colorado winter sadness that much more heavy. This is coming from someone who doesn't enjoy working for a living, so maybe I should only speak for myself... but it's a possibility.

I really hope that things pull together for your family. Everybody should be able to experience new things as a family, enjoy what other places have to offer. I hope you get happy soon, extra work or not.

Keep passing the open windows...

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE living in Colorado. I know from my time apart in Minnesota that there is no place I would rather be. In my opinion nothing beats a Colorado summer. However, I don't ski and I hate cold and snow, so I'm not a big fan of the winters here. As I mentioned in the post, the winters here are relatively not that bad. At least it still stays sunny out instead of the months-long overcast skies I experienced in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

If we stick to our budget, we should be in a MUCH better position than we are in now and will finally be able to put money towards annual trips to Hawaii, Europe, etc, but I guess I'm too impatient for that long of a wait. Perhaps now that my one vacation is over I just have nothing to look forward to except two more years of work and that's what is getting me down. I keep waiting for my Deus Ex Machina to come down from the sky and bail me out but so far it hasn't happened. I don't like to work either, and I'd MUCH rather be home with my family than off at a second job, but it just seems so passive to wait it out versus addressing my problems head on and taking control by actively working towards resolution.

Really, though, in general I'm a pretty happy guy. I'm lucky enough to have a loving family, a stable job, a roof over my head, and many other things to be grateful for. It's kind of ridiculous for my biggest complaint to be that I can't take a big vacation in the next couple of years. Nonetheless, it still bugs me.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 4:15:00 PM  
Blogger Hubris said...

Keep it simple and low budge. But never give up on vacations says I... They are a very important survival tool for folks like us who get affected by the cold and seasonal changes. I like staying home and simply not working. True, its nothing as glorious as the French Riviera or seeing ruins of Incan empires but it can tide me over.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Hubris - thanks for dropping by. For the past couple of years whenever we feel like we need to get away we have just drove an hour or two and stayed a night in a hotel in another town. We usually see what the town has to offer during the day and the girls are usually happy just to swim in the hotel pool at night. It's an affordable option and enough of a change up to keep us going until the next getaway. However, after a couple of years of doing this, we've been to every nearby town and done pretty much everything these places have to offer. So now even our change ups need changing. But, again, I should just be happy that we can at least do that. It shouldn't be about having what you want, but wanting what you have. I need to start focusing on solutions, rather than problems and eventually it should all work out. That and a bunch of other platitudes and mantras that I'll keep telling myself until spring comes...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

So... What's been going on? Are you now working a second job? Are you feeling any better than when you wrote that last post? Out of the doldrums yet? Fill us in when you can...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:01:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Sorry to leave you in the lurch like that SLG, I've just been taking a break from blogging. I put up a new post that kind of addresses that. It will be hard to break away, as I really do enjoy the interaction with everyone here (and you all's respective blogs), but it has to be done. Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home