Friday, June 17, 2005

iPod and Doughnuts

Friday. Yeah! Fridays aren't that bad for me. I have to run a report that lists all of the items that have dropped off the receivables website between last week and yesterday's upload. I know, that sounds like pure excitement, doesn't it? I also took a couple of hours off this morning to attend a Father's Day doughnut breakfast at my daughters' daycare. That was pretty cool, too. I enjoy doing these kinds of things with them, and of course I'm a sucker for free doughnuts.

Today's music selection for the drive in to work: Built to Spill. I like these guys. I had heard of them for a while but never heard their music until I gave them a shot after seeing them on a recommended list for fans of Modest Mouse. They are different from Modest Mouse for sure, but I can see the correlation. The recommended album was Keep It Like A Secret (which I listened to today), but I prefer (at least for now) Ancient Melodies of the Future. I also have Perfect From Now On, which is pretty good as well.

I was listening to Built to Spill because first I like them (see above) but secondly because I have been experiencing a problem with my iPod skipping tracks lately (see previous posts). This has been occurring with this Built to Spill album along with several others. I found a suggestion on the internet to resolve this issue and I gave it a shot. According to this advice, these tracks are in a format not recognized by the iPod even though they play fine in iTunes. To correct this problem highlight the tracks in iTunes that are giving you problems, go to the Advanced menu on the top and select "convert to ACC." iTunes will create new tracks under this format (so two will show up in your library or playlist) that should be compatible with your iPod. I experimented with this Built to Spill album and with a Death Cab for Cutie album that was also giving me trouble. The Built to Spill album played fine. I may be a little premature in saying that I have resolved this issue, so I will give you all the full update after I can verify that Death Cab for Cutie plays for me as well.

There is a warning to doing this, however. According to the instructions I found, the ACC format is a lesser quality than other musical file formats. However, since iTunes creates duplicate tracks you will still have the original files in case you need to burn CDs. Plus, I am currently playing my iPod through a radio transmitter anyway, so I am already experiencing a loss in sound quality already so I probably won't even notice. I have put in a procurement request for a car stereo with a built-in iPod interface, but so far I have been unable to convince Mrs. darthjohn42 that this is a budgetary necessity. I have been working on my Jedi mind tricks but the force is strong with this one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home