Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Not Too Old to Begin the Training

Wednesday. Today I will be making adjustments to the spreadsheet I sent out yesterday. I have already had one person ask me to manually insert 75 more lines of financial data. That's fine, it at least gives me something to do. The rest of the time I will be adding to the vendor database I am creating and doing a lot of zoning out.

I woke up today with Modest Mouse in my head (they must have crawled in through my ear). I know I have reviewed MM several times on this blog, but why should I deny my subconscious if it is telling me I need to listen to Good News for People Who Love Bad News immediately? I mean, my brain is telling me a message, and I figure I best heed it or face some kind of crazy brain-rebellion as the consequence.

So, to avoid repetition (like discussing spreadsheets every day isn't repetitious...) instead of discussing the brilliance of MM today I am going to broach another subject: Star Wars. As many of you might suspect due to my name, yes, I am a SW fan. However, despite my moniker I have curiously never mentioned SW on this site. So... here we go.

I love Star Wars. While certainly not my pick for the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time (that goes to Chairman of the Board), it is by far my favorite movie. My first exposure to SW was when my parents took my sister and I to see the original Star Wars (later re-named A New Hope) in the theater when I was 2 or 3 years old. While I really have no cognizant memories of this excursion, I do remember getting my first SW toys shortly after. I got Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and an X-Wing. My sister got Princess Leia, a stormtrooper, and a TIE fighter. Ahhh... those were the days. I remember vividly seeing every movie in the theater after that from Empire to Revenge of the Sith. I have a picture of a young darthjohn42 in my Darth Vader pajamas holding a brand new Millennium Falcon with a smile that could only say that I had achieved a 5-year old's nirvana and perfect contentment. I remember on Halloween when I was 8 I dressed in black pants, a white shirt and a vest. I think every single house we went to asked who I was supposed to be. Hello? I'm Han Solo, duh... Many people wonder why now as a grown adult I still love these movies so much. First, I'm a complete nerd, but that is already evident. I think one of the big reasons is that when I watch these movies I get transported back to a more innocent time in my life when I believed that good would always triumph over evil, that all things were possible, and that if I closed my eyes and concentrated hard enough that the toy I dropped down in the storm sewer drain would actually levitate back up into my hand. Personally, I'm relieved to know that after dealing with the real world news, politics, economy, personal problems, etc., I can pop in one of these movies and for at least a couple of hours I can recapture a time in my childhood when I had no idea of such terrible things. That and seeing Boba Fett. He's one bad mutha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home