Friday, July 22, 2005

Prophet of Rage

Friday. Yeah! A decently busy day. I already had one spreadsheet project scheduled for Fridays, and as of last week I have a new project to work on Fridays and Mondays. It's more spreadsheet work, of course, but for this one I get to research ledger discrepancies so I am happy to have a little change up there.

Like most workplaces, our break room has coffee brewing daily. Each day I go in the break room, there is a little sign hanging over the coffee maker advising us what is on tap for the day. Although the signs say something like "French Roast" or "Vienna Blend" it always tastes the same to me. I asked one of my co-workers if maybe my taste buds could not detect the subtle variations of these strains of coffee beans, but she concurred that it always tastes the same. We think that the signs are there to try to trick us into thinking we are drinking something of higher quality than we really are. Kind of like when you see those little packets of "Fancy Ketchup." If it was so fancy, why am I squeezing it out of a little packet?

Today I listened to Public Enemy on the drive in. I chose this selection for two reasons: one, it's Friday and I needed something bouncy to get me going. Two, I noticed an absence of rap music reviews on this site and thought this would be an excellent opportunity to address an issue that I've had with rap for several years now. First, I want to say that I like rap music as a genre. I enjoy the music itself and enamored by its strong rhythm and beats. However, I have grown bored of the "gangsta" sub-genre of rap. Like many an impressionable youth, I bought N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton back in the late 1980's. It exposed a culture and way of life unknown to a vast majority of Americans. However, in the 17 years or so since this album came out the freshness has well worn off. There is no originality to this style, and the lyrics have gone completely banal. They just keep re-making the same album over and over. Think about it. Hatred of police (F___ tha Police). Misogyny (I Ain't the One). Dealing illegal substances (Dopeman). Giving props to the 'hood (Straight Outta Compton). Sampling an already popular song and singing new lyrics (Express Yourself). See what I mean? I'm bored. Gangsta rap has gone so commercial it is just a parody of itself. It doesn't have to be squeaky-clean pop-stuff like Will Smith. Take for example the Jurassic 5. They can produce quality music and positive lyrics without reverting to the gangsta style. And who has stepped up to take Public Enemy's place? Who is pushing the social message? Please, if someone knows leave a comment with some referrals.

I think perhaps I have changed my tastes because I am now the father of two girls. Do I really want them to see their father listening to music that completely negates and denigrates every message about empowerment that I am trying to teach them? Maybe I'm getting old. The older I get, the more I feel like Michael Bolton in Office Space on the way to work.

(Note: darthjohn42 once saw The Sugar Hill Gang in concert. Yes, he did his best to "up jump the boogie.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home