Thursday, July 14, 2005

Pumped by Punk

Thursday. Today is the day I update our receivables website, so I am geared up for an action-packed morning (yeah, right). Nothing really to rant about today. Maybe I've just moved into the acceptance stage of my predicament. Today I listened to Bad Religion on the drive in to work. After mentioning them yesterday in my Sublime discussion, I decided to do a "battle of the bands" contest to see which group put out the best version of We're Only Gonna Die. Now even though Bad Religion seriously rocks and they wrote the original, I am going to have to go with the Sublime interpretation as the better version. Yes, you heard it hear folks. I chose the cover over the original. But I'm not knocking the original at all, because it is pretty darn good, too.

Bad Religion is pretty sweet. They are a punk rock band that have been around for probably about 25 years or so and are still making good music. They had an album out about a year or so ago with some good cuts on it you may have heard: The Defense and Sorrow. They got radio play here, but I don't know if they were able to permeate other, more commercial markets. I was just listening to a mix I burned today, though. After listening to an hour of Bad Religion coupled with a mug full of fresh coffee I was pretty amped by the time I got to work, let me tell ya.

Anyway, Bad Religion's music is not only of superb quality, but their lyrics are extremely intelligent. I don't just mean clever, I mean intelligent. The lead singer has a doctorate in evolutionary biology, so I guess you can say he is one smart dude for a punk rocker. I guess it's always good to have a back up plan. Can you imagine this guy's parents, though? "We're so proud of you, son, for getting your Ph.D. in Biology. Now you can go and change the world with your research." "Um, sorry mom and dad, I'm going to go front a punk rock band instead. I'll see you when I get back from our Midwest dingy bar tour..."

(I've been listening to a lot of punk lately. Hmmm... I wonder what that says about me. Maybe I'm dealing with some internal anger issues. I should listen to something more mellow tomorrow like Cat Stevens. Nah... who am I kidding? It's gonna be The Misfits!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home