Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Server down, Baby Down

Tuesday. I am at work and the server is down. There was a power failure at HQ and they are running on a back-up generator. In order to save power they turned off the SAP server. So, here I am with no access to the information I need in order to do my spreadsheets. Ahh... the bitter irony of wish fulfillment. I am completely bored with having to compile spreadsheets, yet when the circumstances arise where I can't do them I only face greater boredom.

Today I listened to The Big Wu. It's funny how certain songs or albums trigger memories. For example, for both of our daughters we played certain albums when putting them to sleep. To this day I can't listen to the Grateful Dead's Reckoning without thinking of swaying my oldest daughter back and forth to (coincidently) To Lay Me Down. My youngest daughter was different. Instead of wanting to be gently rocked side-to-side, she liked to be bounced. She didn't like just gentle bounces, mind you, but big, springy bounces. To help facilitate this (we'd do anything to get the baby to sleep, hey if it worked, we did it), we would sit on the edge of our bed, hold her tight to us and literally bounce up and down on the mattress until she passed out. During this procedure, I would play a CD mix of Big Wu songs. The first track, Kangaroo, provided excellent bouncing music. The next one was another happy number, Gimme a Raise. By the third song, however, I had slowed the tempo down a little with Red Sky. By that time she was hopefully lulled asleep to the point we could finally put her down. Anyway, I pulled out that Big Wu mix today to listen to, and even though that little infant is now over 3 and a half years old, as soon as I heard those first few notes on the disc I was instantly taken back to that moment in time.

In other news, this blog is now searchable on Google, Yahoo, and Metacrawler. Like Navin R. Johnson, I am somebody!

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

How would they know how I was feeling?

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home