Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Scattered Like Lost Words

Tuesday. Yet another spreadsheet day. There's a big surprise. At least I'll know that when I go completely near-sighted I will have sacrificed my vision (and sanity) in the name of accurate data.

Today I woke up with a strong hankering to hear some Built to Spill. However, since I still haven't replaced the broken radio transmitter for my iPod and I don't have any BTS burnt on CD, I could not fulfill this desire. So instead I grabbed another Dead disc, Without A Net. There was no reasoning behind this. I was running late and it was still sitting out from when my wife took it to her work to listen to the other day. I really like this live disc. This version of Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis on saxophone is simply phenomenal. This collection also has two of my favorite Dead songs included as well, Cassidy and Althea.

My wife and I named our first daughter Cassidy. We are both big Grateful Dead fans and we really liked what this song has to say about the cycle of life. I am also a big fan of Beat literature, so the whole Neal Cassady element played a part as well. We have well-begun indoctrinating her on the ways of the Dead. She saw Phil Lesh & Friends at Red Rocks with us at the tender age of 3, and can recognize various arrangements of her namesake after the first few notes. Anyway, at Cassidy's preschool there is a big bulletin board in which all of the little munchkins' various art projects, drawings, paintings, etc. are proudly displayed. On one particular creation the name "Althea" is written in the corner. Who are this girl's parents? We need to arrange a meeting between our daughters. I know that as soon as they get together they will realize the Dead bond between them and run off hand-in-hand to go twirl and spaghetti dance with their other friends Delilah, Katie Mae and Stella Blue...

Eh, who am I kidding? That's probably her great-great-grandma's name or something. I mean what kind of freak names their kid after a Grateful Dead song? Oh, wait... never mind...

Let the words be yours, I am done with mine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home