Tuesday, December 13, 2005

No Wind or Waterfall Could Stop Me, and Then Came the Rush of the Flood

Tuesday. Not much going on today work-wise. Right now I am getting spreadsheets ready for this week's website upload. I'm not running the upload this week since I will be out of town, but I am getting things ready to help out my back up (who has never actually had to back me up before). If you missed yesterday's post, I am leaving out of town tomorrow to attend my grandmother's funeral. Posts for the next three days are highly unlikely, but check back on Monday.

Loyal readers of this blog know that I have a general disdain for commercial radio, especially stations owned and operated by that evil empire, Clear Channel. So, instead of hearing the same old U2 song played on 5 different stations (seriously, how can With or Without You be classic rock, alternative rock, contemporary rock, and top-40 all at the same time? All they need is a hip-hop remix and they can be heard on every outlet in town, I swear...) I often turn to alternative means to gain exposure to new and upcoming musical acts. One of these outlets is the local college radio station, on which I first heard many artists in my collection. One of these artists includes today's music selection, Cat Power. I heard The Greatest on the college station the other day and it piqued my interest. So, in my quest to keep the musical reviews on this site fresh, I magically found the album of the same name on my iPod this morning ready for a good listen.

First, the name Cat Power is either one of the worst monikers ever, or completely brilliant. I still haven't come to a ruling on that one yet. What I do know (since I knew very little before this morning) is that Cat Power is an alias for Chan (pronounced "Shawn") Marshall, a female vocalists who channels southern blues and soul into mellow, ambient compositions. According to several Internet sites Cat Power is renowned for her incredibly loose structure on stage, which is either praised as innovative and spontaneous by some or criticized as disorganized and disorienting by others. I've never seen her live (heck, I've only known of her for a couple of days) so I can't really comment on that, though. While The Greatest really didn't blow me away or anything, I did enjoy listening to it. It is very mellow and relaxing. I would maybe like to hear more from Ms. Power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home