Wednesday, January 04, 2006

And When at Last the Work is Done, Don’t Sit Down it’s Time to Dig Another One

Wednesday. I am a little under the weather today. I have come down with some kind of weird sickness in which I don't feel congested or feverish, yet my sinuses are draining like crazy resulting in coughing fits and a nice complementary sore throat. I didn't have much medicine in the ol' medicine cabinet so I am pretty much fighting this one au naturel. It probably wouldn't be that bad as far as sicknesses go, but I didn't get a wink of sleep last night because every time I tried to lay my head down my sinuses would start acting up and keep me from achieving that plane of nocturnal bliss. I even tried sleeping sitting up, but to no avail. Oh well, it could be worse I guess. Maybe tonight I'll look up some of those horrific medical pics on the Internet and be grateful for my slight case of the sniffles. Or continue to complain incessantly. One or the other, I haven't decided yet.

I had a busy morning at work. I had to get my final treasury report out for December as well as getting my spreadsheets ready for the website upload tomorrow. I usually get those done on Tuesdays, but since we were out Monday I am a day behind. I have finished both of those items now, so this afternoon I am working on job approvals and catching up from my time off.

I woke up (more like "got up" since I didn't really sleep) still in a Pink Floyd mood this morning, so I chose the masterpiece Dark Side of the Moon as my musical selection on the way to work. This album has been widely acknowledged as one of the best of all time, usually floating around in the top 3 along with Sgt. Pepper's and Thriller. While my affinity for the Beatles should be well known to faithful readers, I have to say that Dark Side has the upper hand (Thriller? Puleeez...). On the surface, this album is easily assessable to music listeners of all stripes. The overall feel is mellow, jazzy and unobtrusive. Each track flows effortlessly into the next, sometimes bringing up reprises of previous tracks or glimpses of refrains to come. The song lyrics are extremely intelligent while remaining non-confrontational. Witness how Breathe profoundly addresses the tedium of existence and the genius of how the band juxtaposes the class warfare message of Us and Them with a beautifully tranquil saxophone solo. I'm sure everyone has heard Time, but have they really listened to it? These lyrics perfectly capture the tragedy of the human life cycle. This song becomes more relevant with every listen and every year that flies by. For example, consider these lyrics:

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time/ Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

Now read my post from yesterday regarding my New Year's resolution to finish up my writing project or follow through on my plans to learn HTML and design my own web layout. Crazy. Anyway, there is a good reason why Dark Side of the Moon ends up on the top of all of these "Best Albums" lists (no discernable reason can explain why Thriller is up there...). This album is very highly recommended. You should already have this album, but just in case you don't, go buy it right now. I mean it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home