Friday, March 10, 2006

With Jaded Eyes and Features You Think They Really Care?

Friday. Yeah! Well, it was another typically boring day doing collections and spreadsheets until I got on a teleconference that I just hung up from. Apparently The Big Boss Lady wants me to do another presentation for this big financial summit conference thingy in a couple of weeks. So, on top of my other presentation I am going to do on the highly entertaining subject of summary billing, I now have to provide an overview of our division's business in the Southwest region. Sure I have nothing to go off of and I only have four business days before I have to submit my rough draft to her, but of course I told her it would be no problem. I would be crazy to turn down another opportunity to make a complete idiot of myself in front of the CFO and other financial higher-ups...

I had a little trouble trying to pick out some music to listen to this morning. Despite my efforts to keep the reviews fresh, the past couple of days have been repeats. Of course, since repeats are boring and this blog is about boredom, then maybe that's fitting. But the music discussions are supposed to be the antithesis to the "bored at work" discussion, so I gotta keep on top of it. Anyway, I was skimming over my CDs this morning trying to find something I haven't done on this blog before. Since it's Friday, I had to find something upbeat, because as faithful readers know, I always pick something rockin' to get my weekend started off right. I thought about going with Ministry because sass talked about them on her blog the other day, but I didn't want to be a copycat. But then, right below Ministry was a beacon of light. My selection was sealed. It would be The Misfits' Legacy of Brutality.

The Misfits are one of those bands that when I listen to them I am instantly transported to different age of john. My junior high/freshman years were pretty much spent listening to a steady diet of punk rock music, most notably The Ramones, The Sex Pistols and The Misfits (there was also a lot of Zeppelin and The Beatles, but that was an independent anomoly from the group I hung around in). I had bangs down to my chin, wore black jeans, and tried my very hardest to be cool despite being 13, gangly and having braces. We would all hang out over at my friend Mark's house until all hours, blaring loud music until 3:00am and doing things that in hindsight no 13-year old kid should really be doing.

Legacy of Brutality instantly whisks me back to those nights at Mark's house, singing the lyrics to Where Eagles Dare at the top of our lungs. Legacy is back-loaded with the best songs appearing towards the end of the album, but they're all good. The album is ridiculously short, with pretty much every track coming in under 2 minutes in length. The lyrics are fairly inane and often misogynistic (usually two big negatives in my book), but I can't deny that even after all this time I still derive great pleasure in driving down the highway listening to American Nightmare and other such tunes. I wouldn't recommend The Misfits to just anyone. I have a feeling most people would probably be turned off. If you are into punk rock, most likely you already know who they are. However, if you are one of these posers who think that listening to Blink 182 or Good Charlotte makes you a punk rocker, have a listen at one of the real things. Then pick up an X or Sex Pistols album. Your credibility will thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home