Thursday, March 09, 2006

Anyone Who Ever Had a Heart, They Wouldn’t Turn Around and Break It; And Anyone Who Ever Played a Part, They Wouldn’t Turn Around and Hate It

Thursday. It's been another wonderful day in the world of accounts receivables. I uploaded the website this morning, which went without incident and then I worked some more on collections. Other than that, rumors have been surfacing about an impending account shakeup (probably due to my co-worker's sudden dismissal previously discussed in other posts). I had to call and assure one of my account managers that I would fight vehemently to keep her account group under my jurisdiction because she said that she would rather quit the company than to have her accounts go back to being monitored by the financial rep previously handling her accounts. I honestly don't blame her but thus far, The Big Boss Lady has not mentioned anything to me about it either way. I guess we'll find the truth soon enough.

I listened to The Velvet Underground on the way into work today. I just love Lou Reed. I think he is highly underrated as a songwriter. To me, he's up there with the masters. Unfortunately, despite the fact that he's put out a whole schlew of albums you only hear Walk on the Wild Side on the radio. Despite the VU as being listed as one of the most influential bands of all time, you never, ever hear them played. So, how does one get the word out? Well, I'm going to do my part by writing a blog post about this great artist and his former band. I did a review on the Velvet Underground before here, but it has been awhile so I figured I better post another one again. Actually, I just read the original post and it pretty much covered everything. Anything else written here would be extraneous deification on my part.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

i love VU. don't know what i like better, Stephanie Says or Heroin. I love the line "everyone calls her Alaska; it's so cold in Alaska".

I like to think i'm named after "Lisa Says", even though it's a whore...that would be so cool. instead, i got named after "Sad Lisa" by Cat Stevens. Whatever...

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Lisa V.-

Sad Lisa isn't that bad of a song. I like Cat Stevens. His Tea for the Tillerman album where that song originates is pretty good. I particularly like the track Father and Son. Cheer up, sad Lisa, it could've been worse. They could've named you "Peace Train V." instead...

That being said, Lisa Says is one killer tune for sure.

You know I was this close (you have to imagine my thumb and index finger really close together here) to using lines from Stephanie Says for this post's title, but the lyrics kept using the pronoun "she" and I figured it might be confusing if I left it unreferenced so I went the safe route and did Sweet Jane instead.

Heroin is one of the most powerful tunes ever. It never fails to draw me into its swelling energy and crescendos.

Right now my favorite VU song is the beautiful Pale Blue Eyes. If you include Lou's solo stuff, I'm going to go with Coney Island Baby.

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home