Friday, April 07, 2006

Me Gusta Reggae, Me Gusta Punk Rock

Friday. Yeah! I am dead tired today and totally dragging. Things are starting to slow down, but I've found ways to keep myself busy. I had my account review with the Big Boss Lady this morning, and thanks to all of those $$$ coming in recently, it went over pretty well. A couple of the VPs have emailed to congratulate her on making this big dent in our prior receivables column. I'm hoping this attention from the executives trickles down to my bottom rung. Bosses like when you make them look good in front of the big dogs...

According to the Big Boss Lady, since I moved back into collections last August I have reduced the prior column (invoices aged greater than 120 days) of my account base by 60%. Not bad at all, if I do say so myself. Especially when you are talking about millions of dollars sitting on some of the biggest and ugliest accounts in the whole company.

As I mentioned before, I woke up super tired and have been groggy for most of the day. Since it is Friday I not only needed to get my weekend started right, but I also needed to raise my consciousness up to a level that I could at least feign like I was working. So, I grabbed an old time favorite of mine: Sublime. I love Sublime. These guys are great. If I could chose any band to see in concert that would be impossible to see now, it would be them. As fun as they are to listen to, however, I still get a tinge of sadness over the death of Bradley Nowell. It is downright eerie to listen to Pool Shark (one of my favorite Sublime tunes) when he prognosticates that "someday (he'll) lose the war." We are all definitely worse off without his talent and future contributions to the music world.

Anyway, I've done some Sublime reviews before, so I won't get all crazy here. Basically all you need to know is that I love Sublime, they totally rule, and with their help (and a full traveler's mug of coffee) I was ready to face another exciting day of Accounts Receivable. Rock on, mi amigos.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

You know, I'm not familiar with Sublime... is this that sort of ska punk stuff? I think my friends in London were really into them. Isn't it a drag to be a big fan of a band you will never see live because they're not together? I managed to see the Pixies in their last tour, and wasn't even let down by my big expectations. But I would love love LOVE to see the Smiths (not Morrissey), and the Police (not Sting), both at the time of their prime... You know kids are going to say that someday about bands we're seeing live (or choosing not to see live) right now.

Monday, April 10, 2006 5:10:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Sublime is hard to pin down, really. They are all over the place. They play ska, punk, reggae, rap, rock and usually a mix of several of those at once. I personally think that their 40oz. to Freedom album ranks up there with the greats of all time, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I'm totally bummed I never got to see Sublime in concert. They are up there with several other bands that I will forever kick myself for not seeing live. I never saw the Pixies, either, but I did see the Breeders if that counts for anything...

Monday, April 10, 2006 12:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home