Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sometimes I Speak, Tonight There’s Nothing to Say; Sometimes We Freak and Laugh All Day

Wednesday. Well, I had expected a relaxing day in which I could use to catch up on some things, but I guess I was mistaken. I don't even really know where the day went but I don't think I ended up getting much done. Maybe I got caught up on new things popping up. Maybe things took longer than I had thought. Maybe I just zoned out for the past 7 or 8 hours and I just woke up to find out that I haven't done anything but drool on my desk all day. No matter the reason, I find myself at the end of the day unable to figure out where the day went. I guess that's a good thing if you like to get work done and over with as soon as possible, but I can't help feeling guilty about losing that time. Wishing away time is a dangerous thing. I have the sinking suspicion that at some point in my life I am going to want all of that time that I "killed" back. What will I have to show for all of those hours I spent hoping they would pass away quickly? Even if I am doing something that isn't in my top 63 choices of things to do, I should at least make the best of it so I don't regret it later in life. You know, that sounded a lot deeper than I intended. Anyway, is it Friday afternoon yet?

Still no new music to discuss. I have been slacking lately, I know. I instead listened to an album I haven't heard in a long time, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation. I discussed this album before here, but I hadn't listened to it since. At the time I gave this album a lukewarm review, but upon listening to it with fresh ears I enjoyed it a lot more. These guys aren't that bad. I know, I'm like 10-15 years behind the curve on this one and you all have been listening to Sonic Youth since they were Sonic Infants, etc etc. But hey, I never claimed to be the foremost authority on what's hip and cool. I'm just a guy who likes to listen to music, even if it has already been underground, trendy, popular, overplayed, clichéd, "so '90s", and old school before I even heard it the first time around. Just remember your original feelings when you first heard this album and then assume that's me like 15 years later.

You know, I'm thinking about checking out another group that I've heard was pretty good. They're called The Beatles. Anyone out there familiar with them?

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

Hey John... Man, I love Daydream Nation. I really liked Dirty by Sonic youth as well. I saw them play live at Lollapalloza years back on the Washing Machine tour, and man they were amazing! I love them with Jim O'Rourke. Have you ever checked out his solo stuff? Halfway to a Threeway?

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home