Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Gotta Change My Mind Before it Burns Out

Wednesday. A little better than yesterday. I am doing collection work right now and the considerable lack of cooperation by some of my co-workers is getting a little frustrating. Since the sales side gets commissions on sales generated regardless if those sales actually get paid, they have little concern with the problems of the financial department. Apparently someone forgot to tell them that unless the company actually receives money for their sales we wouldn’t be in business for them to have a sales job.

Today I listened to Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth. This album came highly recommended and, like the Pixies, Sonic Youth has been named one of the most influential bands of the past two decades. Unlike the Pixies I didn't immediately latch on to this record. It is good and I enjoyed it, but I didn't find an immediate connection. For instance, I still have the Pixies in my head from when I listened to them yesterday, despite listening to other music. Maybe this album was just overshadowed by the residual Pixies effect. I did read that Daydream Nation takes a couple of listens to fully appreciate it, so I am sure it will get another shot.

You know, what does "most influential" mean, anyway? If I were a musician would I be instantly compelled to write a rock opera after sampling one of these tracks? I'm not a musician, so what happens if I listen to the album? Do I still get to be under the influence? Is it ok to be under the influence before work, or worse when I am driving to work? Is there an annual survey to find the most influential bands? Who gets surveyed, then? I'm pretty sure Jessica Simpson isn't listing Iron Butterfly as her main inspiration. These are questions I would like answered. If anyone knows, please comment.

That reminds me, after getting several spam solicitations in the comments field I have opted for word verification in order to ensure only real comments are left. Of course that really doesn't mean anything since no one comments anyway, but at least there (hopefully) won't be any more attempts to use my blog as springboard to, um, "questionable" links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home