Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Oh, You Call that Drivin’? Then See Us Dream; How Could it Last? I’m Tryin’ Hard Not to Scream

Tuesday. I don't know what was going on this morning, but for some reason the branch kept getting intermittently disconnected from every kind of communication tool. We were losing our phone connection, our server connection, internet, email and pretty much everything else necessary to do any actual work around here. So I spent the morning trying to find things to file and stuff since there wasn't much else to do. Once things clicked back on, however, I was super busy not only trying to catch up on the hours lost due to the outage, but I am also still trying to get caught up from being out. Luckily most of the stuff that I had to do involved spreadsheet reports, so I am just kicking them out like crazy.

Ok, as promised, a discussion of the New York Dolls. No, the NY Dolls are not a lesser-known sports team from the Big Apple. They are a rock band from the early/mid 1970's who pretty much ushered in the punk movement heard later in that decade. Much like the Velvet Underground, this band is probably more famous from the success of those they influenced than any success that they actually realized as a band. It is amazing when listening to New York Dolls to hear how much the Sex Pistols borrowed from their sound when leading the punk charge several years later. I can also hear a bit of New York Dolls in the Misfits. That being said, I wouldn't consider the New York Dolls full-out "punk." Then again, they're not exactly hard rock, either. They are a lot of fun to listen to, though. Don't expect to hear any deeply profound lyrics or hear any intricately complex guitar chords. Expect to rock out while cruising down the interstate with a big smile on your face.

Thanks Kat for the recommendation (hey, did you know that bassist Arthur Kane was a Mormon? His conversion is detailed in this documentary: New York Doll). I am forwarding along this recommendation to anyone else who is interested in the roots of the late 70's punk movement and/or just likes to completely rock out to some fun tunes.

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

i always thought of them as glam punk.

sort of the logical marriage of kiss and the sex pistols.

that they were first just makes them brilliant :)

i always thought faster pussycat wanted to grow up to be the new york dolls...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good description: Kiss meets the Sex Pistols. You nailed it with that one.

I can see the Faster Pussycat comparison, just like I always thought Poison wanted to be Aerosmith (who in turn wanted to be the Stones). I never cared for either band, though. I'm not a big fan of the whole '80s hair band scene. Not even when it was the '80s...

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home