Wednesday, July 05, 2006

“Do You Believe What You’re Sayin’?” Yeah Right Now, But Not that Often

Wednesday. Well, I hope that everyone in the US demographic of my vast readership had a swell Independence Day yesterday. Personally, mine was pretty cool. My parents are in town, so we took them up to Poudre Canyon and spent an absolutely gorgeous morning hanging out down by the river. In the afternoon we went to Old Town Fort Collins and heard some live local music before heading back home to have a grill out. Later in the evening it looked like it was going to storm as heavy dark clouds began to roll over the mountains, but the weather held out long enough for us all to witness a fairly decent fireworks display in City Park. All in all it was a pretty good Fourth, I must say.

Why do they call it "Fourth of July" anyway? You know, besides the obvious answer of what day it falls on each year. I mean, is "Independence Day" that hard to remember? We don't call any other holidays by the day they land on. Merry 25th of December! Happy Fourth Thursday of Every November! Don't forget that this year we are observing The Extra Day in February that We Stick on Every Four Years to Make Up for the Extra Quarter Turn That the Earth Makes But We Don't Calculate in the Standard Gregorian Calendar! I'm not even going to attempt to figure out an alternate moniker for Easter. Anyway, it seems to me that the only benefit to calling Independence Day the Fourth of July is to set up the old riddle "Do they have a Fourth of July in England?"

As you can probably tell my brain is still a little tired from yesterday's festivities, which is causing a mild delirium. On top of that I have been slammed crazy busy here at work today. I am busy for one because, hey, it's just a busy day and my phone has been ringing off the hook since early this morning. This would normally be fine, however, today is the last day that I will be in the office until the 17th of July. So, I am trying to get as much stuff done in one business day as I would get done in seven business days. That's pretty much an impossibility, but I'm attempting it nonetheless. Also, on top of everything else I am uploading the receivables website a day early because I won't be here tomorrow. I would just let it slide, but I won't be here next Thursday either, and we just can't have it go two weeks without updating.

I would love to say that I'm going through all of this hassle because tomorrow I will be on a plane to some remote tropical island, but as all of you faithful readers know, I am having surgery on Friday so I will instead be at home recuperating during that time off. For those of you just dropping by, I am having nasal surgery and the details of the procedures that I'm having done can be found here. Don't worry, it's nothing serious. In fact, this is a good thing and I'm pretty excited to finally get this taken care of because I've heard it's pretty cool to be able to breathe and smell and stuff. So anyway, tomorrow I have a pre-op appointment with the surgeon, and then I have to go to the surgery center to fill out releases and other such paperwork. On Friday I go under the knife, and then after that I am going to take a lot of painkillers and veg out (sweet!). Since all of this stuff will be going on, I don't know how regular posting will be on Inaction-in-Action for a while. I'll try to check in once I am up and about to let you all know how everything went.

As far as new music to discuss goes, I am continuing my current lameness streak. With everything going on lately I just honestly haven't had time to sit down and search out new artists to review. Hopefully during this time off I can spend some time gathering some sweet new albums to share with you all. Of course, after a week of taking some pretty heavy painkillers, I may just end up doing one long discussion on my revised interpretation of Pink Floyd's The Wall. Who knows...

5 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

the wall gets better the more you hear it

good luck with the surgery!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:17:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

also you can get swing mp3s here
http://legroupeswing.com/mp3-e.html

i'm afraid they won't measure up after all the buildup

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, Sass. I'm going to check out those mp3s for sure. Don't worry about over-hyping them. I'll just go into it with a clear, objective head and simply expect to hear the single greatest music act of all time. ;-)

Oh, and Floyd is super sweet. I totally dig 'em.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger kat said...

i have the same lack of smell and breathing (due to my sister and a swingset when i was 6). i hope all goes well.

(have you ever written about the new york dolls?)

Friday, July 07, 2006 1:03:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Kat!

Thanks for your well wishes. As I sit here with two black eyes and a very swollen nose in a splint, it may be the wrong time for me to recommend the same procedure to you... However, check back in a couple of weeks and I might have a solution for you. That is if this whole smelling and breathing thing is as cracked up as it is supposed to be...

You know, I haven't ever done a NY Dolls discussion here. Excellent recommendation, thanks!

Sunday, July 09, 2006 4:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home