Thursday, August 31, 2006

Rocky Top You'll Always be Home Sweet Home to Me

Thursday. Man, this has been a crazy day. Is there a full moon or something? First I get one vendor calling me demanding a $13k payment. Ok, no problem. Do you have a proof of delivery? "No." Do you have a signed packing list? "No." Do you have any proof whatsoever that the material that you want me to pay for actually got there? "Well, I called the guy and he said everything was working out so that should be good enough." No, it won't. I'll pay you when you can prove that there is something I should be paying for, thanks. He wasn't too happy about that one. And then there was the vendor that we are trying to place a sizeable purchase order with who won't provide us with a proof of product liability insurance. So, I call the president of the company. He tells me that he won't provide it because he believes that it is much more risky to make that information public than it is to protect his distributors. He honestly believes that we are going to scrutinize the policy, find a loophole and then sue him. I asked him if he realized that he would be losing an $18k order if he didn't provide that documentation. He said that was fine with him, said "good day" and then hung up on me. Seriously, how much dough is this company making that they can just throw away $18k orders? I guess that's how you get to become president of a business: you turn down a bunch of business. Silly me, I guess it's this out-moded "let's make the company some money" mentality that has kept me in middle management instead of skyrocketing me to the top...

At least the college football season starts this weekend. You see, I like sports, but there is only one sport that I really follow closely and get super excited for and that's American football. I know what you are thinking, but I assure you that I'm not some knuckle-dragging Neanderthal that paints his face and chest just to watch the game at home, nor do I stack several TVs on top of each other so I can see all the games simultaneously, nor do I watch the same Sportscenter highlights of games I've already seen over and over. Ok, maybe I do that one, but seriously, I'm just a regular guy who happens to like the sport of football. Especially college football.

All of you faithful readers who were here last season may remember that on each Thursday of the college football season I would make a few predictions on the games to be played that weekend. These predictions are out of pure fun and in no way would I recommend actually placing any bets on my picks. I am basically entertaining myself here, but please feel free to comment if you disagree with me. If you couldn't care less about American football, please feel free to skip over that part of those posts or even better you can comment on something completely irrelevant, which could possibly be more entertaining than the predictions.

My favorite college team is the University of Tennessee Volunteers. I lived in Tennessee for about 10 years of my life (please don't hold it against me) and even though it has been since I was a freshman in high school that I lived there and that I've tried to ditch everything else "Tennessee" about me, I can't help but to love my Vols. They have their work cut out for them this season, though. Despite some people picking them to win the national championship last season, they ended up with a fairly disappointing season, capped off by a loss to Vanderbilt for the first time since I was like two years old. They didn't even get to go to a bowl game. Let's hope they can turn it around this year. A season opener against #9 Cal is a tough place to start. Some are picking Cal as a contender. Stick it to 'em, Vols. Ainge you better have learned some accuracy in the off-season, I'm counting on you!

Kat, I'm afraid neither your BYU Cougars nor my CSU Rams are going to take the Mountain West this year. I think TCU is going to take it again. I know, I don't like it either, but I have to face the reality of it. After TCU, it will be CSU, BYU and Utah battling it out for the remaining bowl spots. Best of luck to BYU (Well, except on Nov. 4th...). CSU opens up against Weber State. They have a new QB that is supposed to be the next Bradlee Van Pelt. BVP is the man, so I certainly hope so. The big question is whether or not CSU can stop the run. They were like a sieve the past couple of seasons. Stop somebody!

Each week I will also be highlighting some of the better top 25 games. Some of the teams I say to keep on the look out for this year are USC, Texas, and Ohio State. You know, the usual suspects. I need to find an underdog team to go with that. Hmm... time to do some research. In the meantime, feel free to boo the Florida Gators as much as you want.


***addendum***

(Friday) You know, I got really busy yesterday afternoon and ended up posting my rough draft in a huge rush to get out of here last night. After reading this post later, I realized that there weren't any actual football predictions... So, I went and checked the top 25 to see what the big games were this weekend, and I have to say that the vast majority of teams out there scheduled patsies for their season opener. The two biggest games that I saw were #24 Tennesse vs. #9 Cal (which you can probably figure out who I'm picking) and #10 Florida State vs. #11 Miami, which should easily be the best game of the week. This is pretty much an even pick, but I am going to go with FSU on this one. I think they are going to have a pretty good year. I'm also picking my alma mater Colorado State over Weber State. If they can get back to the trademark Sonny Lubick ball that they abandoned the past two seasons and successfully stop the run, then they've got this one in the bag. Other than that, the rest of the top 25 will fall out exactly like you would expect it to. Safe bets all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home