Thursday, August 24, 2006

Some Trees Will Bend and Some Will Fall, But Then Again So Will Us All

Thursday. I am super busy today. I am busy because I was foolish enough to take a vacation. You see, taking a vacation only lets you relax temporarily. All of that day-to-day stress you were trying to escape from? Well, it just builds up and waits for you when you get back so you can get it all in one big dose when you return. So, take all of that stuff that you have to get caught up on, mix in all of the stuff (like uploading the receivables website) that you would normally have to get done, then add the five or six projects that the boss assigns for you to get done right away and that equals one busy johnny.

On a bright note today, since the Denver branch exceeded its budgeted sales numbers the past two months, local management sprung for a catered lunch of Italian food. I don't really work for the branch, but I still get invited to share the rewards, which is nice. Anyway, while we were dishing up, someone asked, "What is the meat in the lasagna? Is it some sort of sausage?" In which someone else replied in all seriousness, "yeah, I think it's Polish sausage." Yeah, bud. It's Polish sausage in an Italian dish. Let me guess, you're the same guy who orders French dressing on your Olive Garden salad, too, aren't you?

I have Iron & Wine in my head. No, this is not from the effects of partying with Merlot and anemia supplements again, I have the music of Iron & Wine in my head from listening to it the other day. Good stuff. No, I didn't listen to it this morning on my drive in. I actually listened to Wilco's Summerteeth. But I'm not going to discuss music today. I am going to change it up and talk about television instead.

I don't watch very much television. I just don't have enough time. I have a buddy who has been trying to get me into Lost for a while now, but the way my schedule is I just can't guarantee I will be in front of a TV at the exact same time on the exact same day each week in order to watch. Sure, I could spring for a Tivo or something and record it, but really, I don't miss watching television. I don't mean to come off as snooty, but there's not really much on the tube that entertains me anyway. If I find myself with some free time, I would much rather watch a good movie instead. So, I am actually shocked to find myself currently hooked on a TV show. This all happened innocently and inadvertently, I promise. There is one of those red rental vending machines close to my house, so instead of driving across town to the movie store, we often go there instead. Well, we had seen everything in the machine already (it mostly just carries major titles), so the Mrs. picked up the first season of Prisonbreak. Have you seen this show? It's actually pretty good. The guy in charge is a film director (action guy Brett Ratner) who had never done TV before, so he decided to just make a really long movie. The show is shot in widescreen and the production values are really high for television. It doesn't just look good, though. This is more than just a jailbreak show. There are a ton of plot lines and twists going on, and anyone who is big into government conspiracy type stuff would totally dig this show as well. As you can tell, I'm hooked. Sure, I may be embarrassed by my gushing down the line, but for today I have to say that this is the best thing I've seen on TV in a long time. Check it out for sure. I recommend it.

(I wonder if I could still rent the first season of Lost...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home