Monday, October 23, 2006

Just Like that River Twists Across a Dusty Land

So, I drive a Kia Rio. I know. It is the epitome of manliness. The reason why I drive an automobile of such pretentiously high stature is because I drive 54 miles to work each way (that's just under 87 kilometers for you Canadian readers), totaling around 108 miles each day, or approximately 540 each week. That's right, I am putting 30,000 miles a year on my car, about double than the average user. When my old Honda broke down for the zillionth time (don't even get me started, that's a separate post - no, a separate blog - all together) we needed to find a car that was cheap, got good gas mileage (do you Canadians call it kilometerage?) and one that I wouldn't feel guilty racking up that many miles on. You know, the exact polar opposite of a Humvee. Well, due to a little financial finagling on the wife and I's part, we were able to purchase a brand new Rio for under $7,000. So, for the past two years I've been zooming that tin can back and forth to Denver each day with no major problems beyond the dent in my wallet due to shelling out for the gasoline to make that commute. Other than that, I have no complaints about our cheap, dependable car.

That was until last Wednesday evening. As I was on my way home from picking up the girls from school, the car completely cut out on me. It is a manual shift, so at first it just seemed like the engine stalled like when you don't have the clutch in or something like that. My electrical system was still a go, but I had no response from the motor at all. I coasted on to a neighborhood side street and tried to give her another start. Nothing. No clicks, no turnover, no buzz. Zero. Since my radio was on and my clock still had the correct time, I figured it couldn't be a battery problem. A failed jumpstart confirmed this notion. Something was very wrong.

The Mrs. came and rescued us in her vehicle and I went home to promptly research what may be going on. There were many scenarios, but it appeared that in most likelihood it was the timing belt. Ok, no problem. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm not afraid of doing it myself, either, when things need fixed on one of our cars. Unless it involves overhauling a transmission or milling heads I am usually up for the challenge. Changing a belt? Easy. My pops and I did it on the old Chevette I drove after high school. However, this time was different. Due to this marvelous experience, I have had the opportunity to learn something new about automobile engines. You see, there are two types of engines: "freewheeling" and "interference." Almost all cars nowadays are built with freewheeling engines. When the timing belt slips or breaks, the wheels spin free. Like my '86 Chevette, all you have to do is replace the belt and voila! your car is up and running again. The remaining engines out there on the road have "interference" engines. When the belt slips on an interference engine, the wheels keep turning and firing the pistons. This can cause substantial damage to your engine, often resulting in bent valves, broken pistons and busted head gaskets. Translation for the non-motorheads out there: Lots of $$$ to fix.

So, I went out to visit the stranded vehicle the next day. Whew! They didn't tow it away. I popped the hood, took off the engine cover and sure enough, the timing belt was missing at least 9 teeth. That had to have been the reason behind the engine failure. Did I worry? Of course not. One of the appeals of buying a Kia is that they are covered by a 100,000-mile/10 year warranty. Surely something this serious is covered, right? Um, wrong. In the back of the owner's manual is a maintenance schedule that recommends that the timing belt be changed at 60,000 miles. It fails to mention that if you don't and your belt slips that not only will it seriously wreck your engine but they won't cover it under the warranty, either. In fact that one little line squeezed in between many other "recommended" maintenance procedures is the only mention of the timing belt in the whole manual. How is one to know, especially since the majority of timing belts last well over 100,000 miles and go on the majority of engines where a slipped belt doesn't matter? Well, you can find out all about it online after-the-fact. Apparently I'm not the only one, either. This is a known issue with Kia motors and belts. Don't believe me? Do a search for Kia+interference+timing+belt. See how many testimonials and horror stories come up. Interestingly, almost each one of these cases happened in the 60-75,000 mile range (I was at 65k). Kia can get away with selling inferior belts that break 40,000 miles earlier than their competition because they "recommend" that it be changed. Hey, it's my negligence, not theirs, if I chose not to take that recommendation. Ok, I'll concede that. However, a little more head's up on the importance of having it changed out would have been nice. Seriously, how many of you out there have dropped $200-300 bucks to change out your timing belt as part of your routine vehicle maintenance? Would you if you knew it could save you from having to replace your engine down the line? I'm guessing so.

Luckily for me, I had already taken off Thursday and Friday last week anyway since the girls were out of school. So, that conveniently spared me the embarrassment of asking the Big Boss Lady for that time off. I did have to come in late today, though, because I had to pick up a rental car to cover the time that the Kia is in the shop. That's right, to add salt on top of it all, I am paying for a rental out-of-pocket for the next few weeks until my car is done. I won't know how long that will take until today. It all depends on how many valves and pistons were damaged. The lower the number, the lower the expense and repair time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I hear back...

Well, thanks for letting me rant, fellow readers. I know you all probably skimmed most of this, so please keep in mind the main points of this post: the importance of adhering to your vehicle maintenance schedule, knowing what type of engine you have, and that it is extremely masculine to drive a Kia Rio.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

gotcha...schedule, masculine... ah, what was the other thing? I have a Honda myself (CRV), and little plastic things have broken. Driver's side interior door handle, cup console latch, ashtray track, that type of thing. It's annoying, but nothing really big. Engine light came on early on into the ownership and something motherfucking huge was going on, but it was warranty. I must say, I've been really good about the warranty schedule stuff. Just a pain to go into Honda and get that shit done. Kia Rio, yeah, you are a stud of a man!

Monday, October 23, 2006 6:18:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

I had a Honda once. It was by far the worst car I ever owned (though the Kia is making quite a challenge for that title right now). I am assured by the many Honda lovers out there that mine was one of the rare cases of Honda lemons, but it is much more than that. I was treated so poorly by the dealership that I am way turned off of that brand. As far as the Kia goes, we just found out that it is going to cost us over double what we were originally quoted to fix it. Yee haw!!!!

Oh, and to prove the manliness of my Rio, this whole fiasco has given me the opportunity to talk about car engines and mechanical work and stuff. What's more manly than that? ;-)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a problem myself with a timing belt, though Martin at http://www.halifaxbearings.com sorted me out. Stocks all sorts of dodge bearings too which is nice. :)

Friday, June 06, 2008 2:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home