Monday, September 18, 2006

I Claim I’m Not Excited With My Life Any More; So I Blame This Town, This Job, These Friends; The Truth is It’s Myself

To paraphrase Sarte, we cannot evaluate a person based on his or her potential. We can only evaluate someone on what he or she has already done. We do not celebrate an author for the next novel he or she could have written, but for the great works that that individual has already produced. Therefore, I cannot go through life believing that I have potential to create until I have actually created something. Potential is intangible. We often lament wasted potential, but does it really make a difference what we could have done if we did nothing about it? What is the difference between one individual who could have painted a masterpiece of art and one who is completely without artistic talent if neither individual ever picked up a brush? There is no difference. It is just as easy for me to say that I can walk across the room as it is for me to say that I could run a 1-minute mile. Until I've done either one of those tasks, neither matters, regardless of their respective odds of accomplishment.

So, it comes down to the simple notion of doing something about it. But how does one realize that unknown potential that lay deep within one's subconscious? How does one resolve that nagging feeling that he or she is capable of so much more and then "do something about it?" So many of us have the desire to exceed the status quo and to go beyond the parameters that have been set for us, but so few of us actually accomplish that feat. Why is that? Are we afraid of failure, ridicule, contempt, or even success? Is it a matter of time constraint? Sure, we tell ourselves that we "have no time," but if we really had the drive wouldn't we make time? How does one convert that desire into drive?

I have been wrestling with these issues for a long time now. I've long held that notion, that "nagging feeling" that I could (and should) be doing more than this, but have never figured out how to capitalize on this struggle between my reality and my desire. I want to grow beyond myself, to re-shape my essence to meet (and even exceed) the expectations that I have for myself but am doing nothing about. Where is my motivation? Perhaps I am lazy. That is an easy excuse and on the surface it could easily appear to be so. However, I think it really lay deeper than that. I am generally not a lazy person (laid back, but certainly not lazy). I want to be actively working on my idea. But I am not. Perhaps I am plagued by self-doubt. I heard something this weekend that basically said that we hate what we create because we secretly hate ourselves for thinking differently (due to society's conditioning) and that we will know when we find an original idea because we will hate ourselves for thinking it. We become our own worst critic. The key is to push on and know that even though we are reviled by our own creation, the world will eventually embrace it due to its originality (despite the fact that we are conditioned not to). Society loves what we are told to hate.

While I don't know if there is any truth to that idea, I do find it very intriguing. I know that I have personally either scrapped or left unfinished many a project because I became frustrated or even repulsed by the results and my inability to please myself. Although others have encouraged me, I have failed to encourage myself to continue in the face of my own mental adversity. Once again, I am in the midst of another project but have found myself stalled. To be honest, I consider this to be the best idea I have ever come up with. The few individuals that I have run this idea by all agree that it is a " sure-fire winner." Why then can I not move forward? I know what I need to do, but I can't. Why am I stopping myself both consciously and unconsciously? Will finding the answer to that question help move me forward, or is this just another diversion that I've created for myself to keep from working on what I have set out for myself to accomplish?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

Another good post... I like this new format... maybe a new blog start up like my own will refresh you along with this new concept of posting?

I've also struggled with the impossibility of "should" or "could" as they truly don't exist. To quote Yoda, "do or do not; there is no try"... Wow, Star Wars and existentialism, who knew?
I too am plagued by future thoughts and ideas and plans for myself, so much so that I am compelled to apathy in the present. Waiting for something to happen, the proverbial existential kryptonite. Only you know why you aren't proceeding with your idea. Probably fear of many things: failure, wasted energy, unacceptance, etc. I think fear is the reason why we do/don't do pretty much everything. So we spin our tires and see if experiences will come to us... and even then, sometimes we're too scared to embrace the opportunity.
If you have the support of those close to you, nothing else really matters. Go for it!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:22:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Wow, Star Wars and existentialism in the same comment. Sweet!

I definitely need to get going on my idea. I know what I want and need to do, but I am just stalling as if it will complete itself just by me willing it. Nothing worthwhile has been accomplished without hard work, so I guess I better just accept it and get crackin'. I do, very luckily, have the support and encouragement of those close to me (to the point I think they are getting frustrated at me for wasting this "golden ticket"). It just needs to be done and I just need to do it. I am hoping that by discussing it here it will keep me more motivated to continue.

On a side note, thanks. I am liking this new format as well. I have been wanting to change things up for a while now, but didn't know what direction to take. It wasn't until you changed up your blog that I realized that the posts I most enjoy commenting to, on your blog and others, are the ones that are of the philosophical/observational nature. So, I thought that instead of waiting for someone else to write a post for me to comment on, why shouldn't I just write a post like that on my own blog? So, I admit, I'm a copycat. But hopefully it will at least provide a bit more interesting reading around here for awhile...

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home