Thursday, October 05, 2006

When I Think Back on All the Crap I Learned in High School, It's a Wonder I Can Think at All

So, the other day I briefly mentioned a teacher that I had in high school and that kind of got me thinking about whatever happened to some of those people in my graduating class. I mean, for a handful of years I spent almost everyday with those people and now I have no clue what paths their lives took. I still keep in contact with a few individuals from that period in my life, but for the most part even close friends of mine have disappeared into the unknown. So, that had me musing about what could have happened. Some people I know about and really, there's no surprise. Like the son of the ex-marine wrestling coach who is now flying helicopters in Iraq. No shock there. However, the blond girl that people tended to kid for her, um, "less than profound" observations is now an oceanography professor at a major university. I honestly didn't see that one coming.

But what about everyone else? Did the couple voted most likely to succeed actually defy the odds and fail? And if they did both fail and they were the most likely to succeed in our class, what does that say about the rest of us graduates? How about the artsy theater girl? Did she end up becoming a corporate lawyer? How about the young conservative guy? Is he now running a hippy commune? Is the three-sport star athlete now fat and out of shape? How about the overweight awkward girl? Is she now a model?

I guess if I ever bothered to show up at one of the reunions I could probably find out. But the people that I would actually care to catch up with don't go to those things, either. I do know one thing, though. The guy voted class clown ended up being a financial manager for a wholesale supplier. How's that for irony?

2 Comments:

Blogger Hubris said...

In my version, I wish to see none of those people ever again. Not even my wife.

Friday, October 06, 2006 7:44:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Hubris!

For the most part, I would have to say the same for me. The majority of people I went to school with I couldn't really care less to see again. I don't harbor any real animosity or anything, I've just moved on. I was just having a bit of fun that day musing about their respective possible futures. However, there are a few people I would like to catch back up with. I had the good luck of being part of a circle of friends who hung out not because we were all on the same team or anything like that, but because we actually liked each other and enjoyed our collective friendship. I had some pretty good times with those guys. From talking to other people post-high school I guess this is a real rarity. Most people express the same sentiment that you do and I don't blame them. I feel the same way about school and its faculty-supported social Darwinism. I just happened to meet a few good individuals on my way through the conformity factory and I hope they are doing well wherever they may be.

Monday, October 09, 2006 8:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home