Monday, October 30, 2006

They Say I’m Going Crazy; They Say I Got a Lot of Water in my Brain

Ok, everyone, sorry for the long hiatus between posts. I actually tried to post several times last week, but Blogger seemed to be indefinitely down for maintenance every time I tried to post. I was going to put them out there after the fact, but not only did I not want to overwhelm you faithful readers with multiple posts coming all at once, but I also felt that they lost their relevance once several days passed the time the original thought was conceived. So, to make up for it, I am just going to briefly (yeah, right. Is anything I ever say on this blog "brief"?) summarize what has been going on over the past week:

My car is still in the shop. I will hopefully get it back sometime this week. In the meantime I am renting a car to get to and from work. Since I am paying for this replacement vehicle out-of-pocket, I went for the absolute cheapest model they had available. Hey, it's just to get to and from work. Plus, I drive a Kia Rio. It couldn't be any worse than that, right? Well... they gave me a while Chevy Aveo. Have you seen one of these things??? My wife thinks it's "cute." I think it is like driving a giant egg.

Last week the weather prognosticators were forecasting a big snowstorm on Thursday. As I was looking out at the beautiful, cloudless sunset on a 60-degree F Wednesday night, I thought there would be no way that we were getting up to a foot of snow. Well, guess what? I woke up at 4:30 am to at least 4 inches on my car. It was wet, heavy and it was coming down like crazy. It took me almost 2 hours to complete a typically 1-hour drive. All morning long the snow fell like you wouldn't believe. Schools and government offices closed. We shut down our Colorado Springs branch. People here were itching to get home. Then, it stopped. The sun came out. The snow melted. By Thursday evening, the temperature was back up into the 50's and all the snow (at least in Fort Collins) was completely gone. Just another one of the wonderful quirks of living in Colorado.

Salve a mio lettrice da Italia. Grazie per tua visitas. Scrivere uno commento scritto, per favore. Io sono interessato sentire da ve. Ecco, se tu no sei offeso da mio Italiano. ;-)

I know that you guys don't like when I talk about work stuff, but I am on the verge of collecting about $70,000 worth of invoices dating back to 2002. Yes, 2002. The big kicker is that I am collecting this money from a payables guy that I've heard mean and nasty things about since I first started working in this division. Apparently he has a deep animosity towards the Big Boss Lady and the other financial managers who handled that particular group of accounts before. But for some reason he has taken a liking to me. He not only agreed to pay what I asked him for, but he wants to work with me to clean up a bunch of other super old outstanding receivables as well. So, here was this big bad guy that everyone called "belligerent" at best, and he was not only cordial but also complimentary to me. The Big Boss Lady is thrilled that we finally have movement on this stuff because we are about to write off $300k worth of these old orders to bad debt if we can't collect them. Guess who the new point of contact is for these orders? All I'm saying is that this better come up in my next review...

I also know that you all hate when I discuss American Football on this blog, but I can't help but to express my overwhelming sense of joy that the University of Tennessee defeated South Carolina over the weekend. It isn't so much that I dislike SC, it is that I completely despise their coach Steve Spurrier. After having to listen to his obnoxious comments all week, I was more than happy to see him have to eat his words. How does the leather taste on those size 11's, coach?

Going back to a discussion that SLG and I had a few posts ago, I am still taking a few continuing education courses at the local community college to learn Microsoft Access. These are once a week, all day seminars. We stopped for an hour lunch, so I decided that I would slip on over to the student center to grab a quick bite to eat instead of leaving campus to eat out. It was super busy in the cafeteria, so I grabbed a newspaper and my soft pretzel and tried to find a seat wherever I could. Upon sitting down, a guy across from me inquired if I was an instructor. Um, no. Am I a student? "No," I replied. "I'm neither. I'm just here for the day taking a continuing ed class." His response: Oh, I was wondering because we don't see to many old guys hanging out around here. Old guys????? I'm freaking 31!!! I realize that in the relative scheme of things 31 is ancient on a college campus, but jeez man, I wouldn't consider myself elderly by any means. At least not enough for a complete stranger to point it out. Needless to say, I won't be eating in the cafeteria this Friday. It's a good thing, anyway since I just spent all of my money on a crate of Oil of Olay.

That's about it for now. Sure I could go on, but I was talking about my work shift. It's about over so I am going to post this and go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home