Friday, July 29, 2005

These are the Days it Never Rains But it Pours

Friday. Yeah! Ok, I know yesterday I wrote that Thursday was my favorite day of my workweek, but yesterday just completely sucked. After the issue in which I detailed in yesterday's post, my problems only tripled trying to get the data to upload and I ended up having to stay late watching that little blue progress bar to make sure everything went through ok. That's the short version of the story. The longer version has a lot more swear words in it.

I woke up today with Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie in my head. I attribute this to two reasons: first, because I was under a lot of pressure yesterday and my brain was playing it subconsciously, and also because I heard a cover of this song on the radio last night (which was probably the more likely case). I don't know who was doing the cover but it was on the so-called "alternative" station, so I am sure it was Cold Blink Charlotte Bizkit or someone like that. The music actually wasn't that bad, but whoever was doing the vocals is no Freddie Mercury, that's for sure.

Anyway, this song was locked in my head so I knew I had to play it, but the only Queen I had was on my iPod, which faithful readers know has been rendered inactive due to a broken radio transmitter. Well, the radio transmitter is still broken so I had to buck up and do what I had to do: use the ear buds. I don't like using the ear buds for two reasons. First, I think it is unsafe to use headphones while driving (and you know I am all about safety as I'm barreling down the interstate every morning), and second they don't fit in my ears. I don't know if I have some kind of deformed, misshapen ears or something but they won't stay in. I see these commercials with people dancing and jumping all over the place with them in, but I can't even keep my head perfectly straight for two minutes without them falling out. And even if they do stay in, I can't hear the music. I lose the complete bottom level. I get no bass at all. I am convinced whoever designed these things actually hates listening to music. Sure they look hip and cool, but I am all about function over form. I don't care how slick they look. If they don't serve their purpose I have no use for them.

Wow. Sorry about that. Anyway, I listened to Queen today. Sure, We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody have been horrendously overplayed, but there are still many other good tunes to dig. Stone Cold Crazy is a seriously rockin' number. I mean Metallica covered it, so you know it ain't Kumbiya. Fat Bottom Girls is a classic party tune if I ever heard one, and Keep Yourself Alive is just what I needed on a Friday morning to turn my mood around. Bicycle Race is another good one, even if he does explicitly say he doesn't like Star Wars. I am just hoping he meant the Strategic Defense Initiative, not the greatest movie of all time. I can go on, but this post is running seriously long. I thank all of you who made it this far. I'm going to stop now, I have spreadsheets to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home