Monday, November 21, 2005

I'm Working on Drinking, I'm Working on Driving, I'm Working on Driving My Dreams

(no, kids, I don't advocate drinking and driving, but I thought that was a good line)

Well everybody, I'm back. I know you missed me. The trip to corporate went well. It was nice to finally meet some of my co-workers face-to-face instead of over the usual instant messenger or email correspondence. I don't know how much I really got done while I was there, but I was able to train in my backup on how to run the receivables website since the only other person besides myself in a company of 9,000 people who knew how to do it moved up to a different department. Hopefully he caught on, but if not I at least got a free lunch out of the deal while I was there...

I just took on a seasonal job selling Xmas trees to bring in some extra holiday cash. This was the easiest job interview I have ever had. I filled out an application last week and handed it to the boss. She took one look at it and told me to show up on Sunday morning ready to work. Well, I showed up yesterday and work I did. We spent the day unloading the trees from the delivery truck and let me tell ya, I can't remember the last time I worked that hard. If you are ever curious about how in shape you are, unload about a 1,000 Xmas trees for 2-3 hours. I consider myself a somewhat-fit guy, but I can barely move today. I guess it will all be worth it to see those happy faces on Xmas, even if Santa and his elves get all of the credit...

I don't even know if I want to talk about football today. Tennessee lost to Vanderbilt. This is tough to take for several reasons. First, it means that UT will not be bowl eligible for the first time in 17 years. How does a team start the season ranked #3 and then not even make it to a bowl? Second, Tennessee lost to Vanderbilt. I know I have been saying all season long that I was glad that Vandy was finally turning their program around, but really, I didn't expect them to actually beat Tennessee. I mean that hasn't happened since 1982. They haven't won in Knoxville since 1975! This is just disgraceful. I love my Volunteers, but they are really testing my loyalty this season. At least beat Kentucky this week, guys, ok? Please don't go out losing to Kentucky...

My Alma mater, Colorado State, beat UNLV this weekend. And to help out, BYU lost. That means that there is a four-way tie for second place in the MWC conference. With the win the Rams became bowl eligible (yeah!), so we'll have to see how the tiebreakers shake out to see which one they get invited to.

#1 USC had another scare this week from Fresno State, but was able to pull out the win. Texas didn't play, but unranked Georgia Tech upset #3 Miami. #4 LSU clobbered Ole Miss, and Penn State secured the Big Ten title with their win over Michigan State. The story of the week, though, of course is Ohio State's rally to defeat their bitter enemy Michigan. I have a lot of family in the Buckeye State and I think I could hear them screaming all the way over here in Colorado when they won...

In professional ball, the mighty Denver Broncos had a very impressive shutout win over the NY Jets. Unfortunately, they don't have long to celebrate since they have the Thanksgiving Day game against Dallas this year. Dallas is a decent team and will surely show up for their traditional Turkey Bowl. However, I am predicting that the boys in orange and blue will taste the turkey legs this year.

I listened to Modest Mouse today, so sorry, no jazz review. I was so sore and tired this morning I didn't want to even think about making a big decision like what to listen to on the drive in to work. This post is getting too long anyway so that's it for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home